Thread: Sora

Emil Martinec

Default Sora

1D3 + 500/4 + 1.4x + 1.4x, 1/200sec, f5.6, ISO 400, Av +1/3, monopod, full frame

My favorite rail. There are four or so at the north end of Green Cay Wetlands in FL, and with enough focal length one can get a tolerable angle given the rather high boardwalk. I cleaned up some detritus on the duckweed in the background. I'm trying to decide of the colors are a bit too warm.

Linda Robbins

Hi Emil -

I can understand why this is your favorite rail, they have such beautiful plumage. Very nice head angle and and pose. The light angle is a bit off, but you probably couldn't get the sun at your back photographing from the boardwalk and the light is fairly soft. I think a little more room on top and less on the bottom would improve the composition. You did well getting this image this sharp, especially with two 1.4s and using a monopod. I feel that the colors are a bit warm, which would be easy to change. I have yet to photograph this bird. I'll have to get to Green Cay Wetlands and try for some nice images like this.

Linda Robbins
    lindaasart@aol.com

Axel Hildebrandt

Great pose and setting, Emil. I guess other than lying on the boardwalk there was not much you could have done to get lower. :) I only wish for a bit more head turn toward you so that the part between eye and bill would be sunlit, too. I'd love to see this species someday.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'd crop a bit more off the bottom, getting rid of the two leaves on the surface. The little whatever he is standing on is superb. Alex hit the nail on the head; with the sun from a bit beind the bird it was imperative to get the bird to turn its head towards you. After you make one image, try a gentle squeak to get the bird to look at you... If it were me, I would have squeaked before I made even one image. My philosophy is to always go for the perfect image... Even if the bird flushes and I get nothing...

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Considering the narrow boardwalk conditions, you did very well. Very nice Image. Agree with Arties suggestions on head turn.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

glad to hear the sora's are still there
    given the board walk - a great effort/photo

quick suggestion would be to darken/sharpen bill using a mask with curves and to sharpen the eye as shown below

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent image. I love the colors in the pond.

DanWalters

Nice shot! Like the comp and the green background.