Thank You Posts

Default Great Gray Owl

Great Gray Owl

Name:  _D2T4958.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  101.1 KB
    Canon 1Dx - 300mm F/2.8
    1/4000s @ F/5.6 ISO 1600

A six hour drive to our nations capital was well worth it to see these beautiful owls.
    At -27 celsius or -16 Fahrenheit it sure was cold out, but its funny that when your shooting you forget about how cold it is.

Thanks for looking,
    Mike Veltri

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm with you on forgetting the cold when you are shooting! This guy is beautiful! I love the wing spread and his position in the frame. I like the trees as a BG as well. His small but sharp eye just pull you right in. Very nice.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike:

A dramatic image, because of the pose and the lighting. Can you describe time of day, lighting conditions? When I first saw it I thought of very subtle flash work.

Anything special in post processing?

These guys are pretty famous. Guess we will have to change the name of the hockey team to the owls!

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I had two 13 hour travel days to get to and from these owls, and I have to say that it was definitely worth it! I like how the bird stands out against the dark BG; was this achieved in camera or in post? Your sharpness is excellent and the head angle, fanned tail feathers and raised near wing are all positioned nicely. I only wish the head didn't merge with the far wing. When were you there?
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It was overcast with no sun, and very cold. No flash was used and the background was darkened just a little bit to make the bird pop.
    The backgrounds were not great up there, and the stubble of weeds popping up through the snow were distracting as well.
    More of a distraction were the inexperience photographers, some with super teles that would walk in front of you while shooting which cost me a number of opportunities.

Cheers,
    Mike

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brown View Post
    I had two 13 hour travel days to get to and from these owls, and I have to say that it was definitely worth it! I like how the bird stands out against the dark BG; was this achieved in camera or in post? Your sharpness is excellent and the head angle, fanned tail feathers and raised near wing are all positioned nicely. I only wish the head didn't merge with the far wing. When were you there?
    Thanks for the comments Doug.
    It was definitely worth the drive, and we had clear roads all the way up from Hamilton, Ontario.
    I did darken the background a little bit so that the bird would be the focal point of the image.
    The woods were very dark due to the overcast conditions, and the sun eventually came out around 10am.
    By that time most of the owls had gone into the woods and we left for Algonquin park.
    I was up there on Saturday Jan. 26th.
    Last edited by Mike Veltri; 01-28-2013 at 10:00 AM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

excellent capture! loved the birds details ad the magic BG

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike:
    Excellent flight pose of GGO you have captured.Love the wing position,tail feathers,artistic design on them and beautiful eye.
    My only wish is,I could see some light trees in front of him(similar to the trees behind him,colors of which are well complimenting with owl),surely my personal test.
    Very nice composition too.

Regards,
    Satish.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike, you guys are killing me with these amazing Great Gray Owls. Another fantastic image of this species, and just love the how owl stands out against the darker BG. Good flight pose, and the angle shows off all the detail one needs to see. Sharpness spot on too. Well captured, and Im sure freezing your butt off was worth it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nicely done Mike! Can't add much more to the comments above.

I would like to say that my wife jokes that when I'm shooting I have "the fire within" that keeps me warm in even the coldest of weathers!

Miguel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You guys are driving me crazy with these owl shots. This is another beauty. Love the spread wings and tail. Darkening the bg gives this a real dramatic feeling. Personally, my trigger finger gets so cold that I can hardly press the shutter when its that cold, but for an image like this it would have been worth it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just going to add my 2c worth, what a stunning image so very well captured, ill deal with the cold for a shot like this any day!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh I love the dark BG you got here...very ghostly and apt for this owl! Nice pose, and the eye pops nicely. Glad you were able to see them...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful well lit plumage and a great angle on the tail and wings. The bird stands out very well from the darker background and I love the eye. Theres nothing I don't like about this image Mike.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Striking image, my kudos with everyone else.
    Nice PP work to achieve the look you wanted.
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent image Mike! I like the details, sharpness, dark BG and composition.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Outstanding image Mike. The dark bg makes the bird pop and gives the image a nice mood. I bet this more than made up for the 6 hr drive.
    Looking forward to more from your trip.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Truly lovely; what a ghostly feel. If both eyes were looking at us this would be one of the best GGO pics on earth...