Thread: Good bird location in LA and on east to FL

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Good bird location in LA and on east to FL

I plan to be in the southeast, from LA to FL, in late Feb or early March for a week or two. I would be interested in advice on good locations for shooting birds.

One place I've heard about in LA is Jefferson Island, NW of New Iberia -- a smallish pond just S of Lake Peigneur (Rip Van Winkle Gardens) where Spoonbills nest. I tried to check it out a couple of years ago but it appears to be on the property of a large commercial nursery and I couldn't find a way to get closer than the view from the road at the entrance to the RVW Gardens.

I'd love to be in range of filling the frame with single birds, or close to it, with 600 to 840 mm on a full-frame.

Thanks for any advice!

Is it OK to post my email address here, if anyone would like to reply directly? If so, it's dianemiller@hughes.net. (If not -- apologies; I'm fairly new here.)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Diane:

Could you please share for me where you plan on spending time while you are in Florida so that I can better help you?
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marina,

I'm basically bumming around with my husband and we don't have a firm agenda. I'd like to do both St Augustine Alligator Farm and Gatorland. (I understand both have a photographer's pass that gets you in early certain days.) I explored SW FL a couple of years ago, mostly the area around Fort Myers. I haven't done Tampa Bay and would like to check out Fort Desoto, but don't have much information for it on where to be and when.

I know so much of bird photography depends on being in the right place at the right time, and I have Arthur Morris' excellent guide to SW FL, but would be grateful for any additional information.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Both the Alligator Farm and Gatorland would be very good at the time of the year you are coming. THe difference is that you CAN buy a day photography pass to Gatorland, and you can only buy an annual photography pass to the Alligator Farm. The photography days at Gatorland begin in February Thursday through Sunday, 7:30 until dusk. You will not be bored for one minute.

Ft DeSoto should be pretty good around that time as well b/c the Reddish Egret & White Morph should be in their breeding colors.

I would suggest that you get in touch with me via PM about 10 days before your trip to discuss further as the time approaches.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Marina -- will do! We're leaning toward the March 5-29 window. February is looking too tight.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Payne's Prairie, ten-miles South of Gainesville, is great for water birds, turkeys, raptors and quail. Guana Park, just above St. Augustine on A1A is great for Roseate Spoonbills and Wood Storks. Almost any beach you can walk the shore and catch osprey fishing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super! Thanks -- I'll check them out!