Thread: Purple Sandpiper #2

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Purple Sandpiper #2

Another Purple Sandpiper from last weekends IPT at Barnegat with Artie and Denise.
    Name:  20130120_894-Edit-2.JPG
Views: 192
Size:  206.0 KB
    Nikon D7000
    Sigma 150-500@500mm
    ISO 800
    f/7.1
    1/640
    -1/3EV
    Handheld

PP in LR4 to adjust levels and sharpen, cloned out a bright white spot in the uper right corner in PS CS5. I'm not sure if the background could use a little dodging or not. Cropped about 10% around the edges for framing.

Comment and Critiquesm are wlecome.

Colin

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi,

Nice pose, good bg. Feathering on the head looks a little soft to me, but the rest of the bird is sharp. A slightly lower angle would make it even better, but overall a very nice image. I don't have any problem with the tonality of the bg,but perhaps the seaweed in the fg is a bit prominent.

Richard

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Colin. I hope you had fun on the jetty! The striding pose is nice, as is the rock beneath the bird. Sharpness is only so-so, and I think you're underexposed by 1/3 to 2/3 stop. I wish the bird had given you a slightly better head angle.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Colin, The image is presented way too dark. Be sure to check the calibration strip at the bottom of each BNP page. For the repost I pulled the curve way up, eliminated the white spot lower left, and selectively sharpened the head and face with a contrast mask at 15/6/0.

I like the bird and the pose much better than the previous one. Heck, I like this one a lot.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, Doug and Richard - thanks for the comments and suggestions. Artie, looking at your repost, I can see that my original really was underexposed, I appreciate you taking the time to show me how to improve the images.

Thanks
    Colin

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very nice image of one of my favourite waders/shorebirds, Colin. Artie's re-post has certainly improved the original - we all live and learn, hopefully!

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Colin - Artie's repost has taken this up a notch. the comp works very well with the placement of the bird, the bit of mussels, seaweed and the water in the bg.

TFS,
    Rachel