Thread: Common Loon in the bright light - why I love greater dynamic range

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Common Loon in the bright light - why I love greater dynamic range

Attached Images Attached Images

This common loon was imaged last summer in Michigan. I had been floating around with them for several hours, and in the past would have left already because the dynamic range of my much beloved D700 wasn't quite enough to handle the exposure nightmare of a loon in bright light. The D4 is a significant improvement in that dept., and I am able to shoot later in the day.

D4 600VR with 1.4 TC f/6.3 1/1000s ISO 400

Post: level image, selective sharpening, cleaned up catch light.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent portrait, Randy. Love the background, relatively low shooting angle and the water colour. The tiny droplets on the head add interest.
    The loon is a handsome one. I tiny bit of more head turn towards us would have been a nice addition.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet portrait. You've got these guys down pat. The velvety quality of the blacks is beautiful, and I love the water colors and bow wave. HA works fine for me.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Randy, very nicely done.

One of my resolutions is to post better comments (more detailed), so here goes:
    - I'm not sure how you nail the exposure every time, but boy does it look good. Those droplets of water on the head are great, and the detail along the neck and eye is amazing.
    - I like the ripples and water buildup up front, as it shows a sense of movement.
    - I'm perfectly fine with the head angle here.
    - Very nice low angle ... I'm not sure how you don't fall off your canoe. I look forward to buying one of your submarines, so get it in production soon ;)

Now a question (I need to learn from you guys as well - that's another resolution). I have a hard time exposing for black and white birds. In this case, the bird is predominately dark, so do you expose for the darks and let the whites be where they are? Or do you still expose for the brightest part and then try to bring the detail back in the dark? I'd love to know!

Miguel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Everything to like about this great image.
    Terrific IQ and the detail in the backs is great.
    Nice BG and usual low POV. Bow wave is nice as well. Love the eye and bill,
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel Palaviccini View Post
    Randy, very nicely done.

Now a question (I need to learn from you guys as well - that's another resolution). I have a hard time exposing for black and white birds. In this case, the bird is predominately dark, so do you expose for the darks and let the whites be where they are? Or do you still expose for the brightest part and then try to bring the detail back in the dark? I'd love to know!

Miguel
    Miguel: I always expose for the whites, let the other tones fall where they may. I have the blinkies set to flash at overexposure. Blinkies are based on the jpeg, not the raw file, so inorder to try and get the most accurate representation of what the raw file is like, I set picture control for neutral. That gives rather dull jpegs on the LCD screen, but my only concern is for the exposure info and basic framing.

I am constantly taking test shots of the bird to check for the exposure, so get to discard lots of shots, but when you do get the right pose, you increase your odds of getting the right exposure.

I always shoot in manual so I can control the variables of lighting and background changes effecting the metering of the camera.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

7. Thanks Miguel Palaviccini thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    Blinkies are based on the jpeg, not the raw file, so inorder to try and get the most accurate representation of what the raw file is like, I set picture control for neutral. That gives rather dull jpegs on the LCD screen, but my only concern is for the exposure info and basic framing.
    I knew that the highlight warning was based on the jpeg, but I never thought to set the picture control for neutral! Great tip and I'll have to remember to do that on my camera before I go shooting next time.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful Randy, these birds do make for lovely subject matter, liking the water droplets and that smoothly wrinkled bow wave...just lovely !

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You're just having your way with these birds. All very nice too. Keep 'em coming.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Terrific tight portrait Randy...one to be proud of. That D4 sure produces some fine detail and smooth BG...(although I know a lot of that is due to your skill, not just the camera). Beautiful.

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice capture Randy....love the neck reflection in the water.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stunning details Randy and the water and background is gorgeous.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Randy, you have nailed the exposure so well here, as the different coloured sheens on the head show up so well. Great eye, sharp, love the bow wave, and that BG is simply stunning. You are the Loon king.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Randy. Cant think of how it could get any better so I will leave it at that. Awesome!

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Improved dynamic range with the newer sensors is great. I have found that I have been able to extract amazing clean shadow detail from D800 images that previously would have needed a HDR technique to achieve. Your Loon is a great demonstration of the benefits.
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Randy, Superb image, it is perfect as is.
    I could relate to your D700 experience. I have been shooting with D700/D3s, I found it tougher to get the exposure right as the light gets harsh in the day.