Thread: Blurring the BG of a shot you want to keep

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Blurring the BG of a shot you want to keep

Attached Images Attached Images

I have been wrestling with a couple of images, example attached, for the last few days. The one attached to this message is the processed image. Note that the blurred edge is not correct in a couple of places around the bird and branch. I posted an earlier version of this in the avian forum. In the following message, I will attach the original image, which has a busy BG.

I have searched on this site, but couldn't find anything that helped (maybe I just missed it). I did find this. I tried this technique about fifteen times, but couldn't seem to get it right. I followed the tutorial, but then used Filter-Blur-Lens Blur instead of de-saturating the BG as in the tutorial.

My steps were: quick select the bird, invert, refine edge, CTRL-J to create masked adjustment layer, then used the lens blur filter. flattened the image, then back to LR 4.2.

My question is: how would you blur the BG so it is less distracting? Is there an easier way to do this? Am I using the wrong steps, or do I just need more practice at selections? I am using CS6 and LR 4.2.

Thanks in advance, and I hope this is enough information.
    Last edited by Dennis Zaebst; 12-27-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Here is the original of the pine siskin (or close to it)

Repost of above, minimal processing of the BG.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Separate the bird from the background and place the bird and BG on separate layers, make sure the bird layer is above the BG. When you make the selection check it over very carefully as quite often the selection looks good but when you check it at higher magnification you can see the errors. Looks like you missed the area around the small bud.

4. Thanks Dennis Zaebst thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dennis- This is not an easy task. As mentioned, the key is to separate the bird from the BG but there's the rub- doing this precisely is difficult. However, you have not done a bad job at all and the small infelicities can easily be fixed. It is quite normal to have to do some fixing after a major retouch like this.

I use Topaz Remask for separating subject from BG.

6. Thanks Dennis Zaebst thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Roy and John...I will keep practicing on the selecting. I guess the "refine edge tool" in Photoshop is not as easy to use as it seems.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I do use the refine edge tool but I don't use the brush just the slider and just a little bit. Then use defringe to get rid of any colour fringe.

9. Thanks Dennis Zaebst thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Roy...which slider? Perhaps are your referring to the radius slider in the Refine Edge dialog box?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John, do you find Topaz Remask easier/faster than the quick selection/refine edge tools in photoshop? I checked out their site, and it certainly seems easier and faster. Thanks in advance.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes Dennis. Remask does a very good job and is relatively quick. It's a very clever tool. I don't generally blur BGs but use it to separate the subject from the BG so that I can apply selective NR and sharpening.

13. Thanks Dennis Zaebst thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks John! I'll give it a try! I wonder if it works as a plugin to LR as well as PS. I'll check their site. Thanks again!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dennis,

You have done a good job with your processing, but the main issue with blurring the BG in post is its artificial look. Most blur algorithms use a Gaussian model while the blur that comes from the aperture blades is not mathematically Gaussian. It is very difficult to produce a natural-looking bokeh with digitally blurring the BG. The lens blur filter in Photoshop is OK, but trained eyes can still see a difference.

The best way to produce a natural blur is to use a long lens or get closer to your subject where possible, there isn't really a post processing substitute for that IMO.

your selection above is quite good though, for BG NR I usually use a feather radius of 1 to 2 pixels.
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 12-31-2012 at 03:00 AM.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

16. Thanks Dennis Zaebst thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Arash...that's a really helpful comment and great advice.

I am using a 500 + 1.4xTC....maybe I should try a 500 + stacked converters for a combined FL of about 1400 mm . I just bought a Kwik Camo hide, and perhaps I can work closer to the birds with it. I am reading Alan Murphy's book on attracting birds too.

I just bought Topaz Remask 3, and will use it for selective sharpening and NR, assuming I can figure out how it works (heh), but perhaps will give up blurring the BG. Attached below is a shot I took from the same vantage point, but the bird was closer to the lens, no BG blur needed. I just need to work on the perch per Alan Murphy's guide!

1D MIV; ISO 800; 700 mm; 1/800 sec. @ f/7.1.

Thanks again,
    Last edited by Dennis Zaebst; 12-31-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Topaz Remask is great, and there is a very good tutorial on their site.

Often the Quick Selection tool will do a good job, with some touchup needed -- feathering, mainly. With the selection active, click the Quick Mask icon (bottom of the tool bar) and paint with a black or white brush to fix flaws in the mask. Click the icon again to toggle back to the selection.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Diane! I appreciate the suggestion and will try it.