Thread: Ice arch

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ice arch

Attached Images Attached Images

One of the most beautiful icebergs I've ever seen. Outside Lemaire Channel, Antarctica.

I cropped a little off top and bottom and added a hint of Color Efex 4 Detail extractor (first preset toned down to 25% opacity).

Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Lens: EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM, @ 25 mm
    Program: Manual
    ISO 100, 1/800s, f/7.1

Last edited by Peter Kes; 12-21-2012 at 09:42 AM.

Roman Kurywczak

Pretty awesome John! Looks like Delicate Arch but on water! I like the tones and shades of blue as well. Only minor suggestion would be to see if you could eeek out any more detail on the RH base of the arch.....but overall.....very nicely done!

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John,

Beautiful! I agree with Roman's comments. I wonder if brightening the bottom (reflection) would help an already high impact image?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John: I saw this photo on the blog. This is beautiful with such a nice reflection!

Linda

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John - I can only echo the above, this is beautiful and extremely well done. Love the colors. It will be interesting to see if the suggestions above can improve what is already a great image. Just curious as to how big this iceberg is?

TFS,
    Rachel

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John that is truly lovely, great image.

However I am in total agree with Roman, there is truck loads of detail in the shot crying to come out and do your image justice. I can't replicate the colours as the image has no tagged profile and so I'm a little cornered, but as you can see from the web image there is certainly much more detail to come out, hope you on't mind. If you can afford the time, please revisit the image, this is a real belter of an image and just needs some gentle coaxing.

This is from a web image with little info, I can't imagine what the RAW would look like, AWESOME.

Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone. Some great suggestions. I'll go back to the image and have a "play". Perhaps I should send to Roger as a candidate for RAW image processing. Thanks for the repost Steve. It certainly gives me an idea of what is possible.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

John, this has so many possibilities.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Robert Amoruso

John,

Stellar image. I agree that local contrast needs to be amp'ed up to expose the hidden details. Steve did a good job - many other directions possible.

If you have Nik CEP, try detail enhancer. Local Contrast Enhancement using USM another option.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John,
    A really beautiful image that you have captured. Steve's changes have shown what potential you have with the post processing of the RAW image with regards to potential detail.
    Thanks for sharing and best wishes,
    Mark.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks again to all.

As mentioned in the OP I did use Nik CE4 Detail enhancer but only the most subtle preset and then toned down to 25% opacity for that layer. My goal was a slightly enhanced version of what I saw. I'll continue playing!!!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful image John, love it. Wonder how it looks with all the details come out. Great

Ciao
    Anette

Threads
    Thank You Posts

John, FYI I rarely use NIK stuff, this is just simply channels & curves and trying to keep as much of the original structure. Personally I would work through using Smart Objects and adjustments and avoid too many third party stuff, keep the image as natural as possible.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

One of the most beautiful images icebergs I've ever seen! The diagonals of the clouds really make the image for me. I do appreciate the details brought up by Steve, but I find his version too blue and a tad bit too dark. Somewhere in between would be killer.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jerry I totally agree, however as I mention in my reply, if the file did not have an untagged profile then colour shift isn't an issue, but heres hoping to see a RP from John soon.

Forum Participant
    Maryland's Eastern Shore, beside Fairlee Creek near the Chesapeake Bay
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Terrific image, John. But while I agree that more detail might be brought out, I think your OP is more true to nature. Whatever you do, please keep the delicate, more subtle colors.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow... and Steves repost is WOW...

Absolutely beautiful..

DON

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Epic photograph with awesome suggestions to bring out the detail.

Enjoy the festive season !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Jerry I totally agree, however as I mention in my reply, if the file did not have an untagged profile then colour shift isn't an issue, but heres hoping to see a RP from John soon.
    Hi Steve- I will repost!!!! But in the meantime, what do you mean by the file having an "untagged profile".

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John - your file doesn't have an embedded color profile so the colors shift from what you are seeing in PS when displayed on the web. You want to convert to sRGB and make sure the profile is embedded for the best results on the web.

Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Rachel. I hadn't realised that checkbox in Save for Web and Devices had been unchecked.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

John, that is what everyone misses and what I eluded to in my reply.

It's always best to use Convert to Profile under Edit in PS (check you have the right settings there), then in Save for Web ensure Optimise, Embed colour profile and Convert to sRGB are all checked. If unclear drop me a line. This ensures that the image are displayed to their best and there is NO colour shift with web browsers.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

John, FYI I rarely use NIK stuff, this is just simply channels & curves and trying to keep as much of the original structure. Personally I would work through using Smart Objects and adjustments and avoid too many third party stuff, keep the image as natural as possible.
    Hey Steve, I will disagree here. Used judiciously, NIK Tonal Contrast and Details Extractor (both from Color Efex Pro 4) can vastly improve a wide variety of images quickly and leave them looking quite natural, at least in my opinion .
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Certainly a unique and striking berg. From where I sit I like the original post but feel that it could be strengthened immeasurably with a crop from the left to the center of the little white mountain and a smaller crop off the right to just outside the dome shape, making sure to leave a border around the dome. In other words, a very small crop from our right.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I stand corrected Artie.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I stand corrected Artie.
    indeed! As with all things related to Photoshop, the biggest problem is with over-doing new toys. When I look at images from my first digital trip to Africa I wince. Having come from Velvia to digital and learning about Hue/Saturation I really overdid things especially with the greens. For a way cool example of Detail Extractor see the BPN thread here.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

John, What a wonderful image love the colors,textures, and detail. I hope you dont mind but I thought all this image needed was touch of tonal contrast so I did it the old fashion way in PS with a USM setting since this darken the image slightly a did a curve adjustment to lighten it back up and used a layer mask to even out the brighter tonal areas on the berg.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Remarkable image. An image that makes me want to be there.
    Love your composition.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for all the great comments. I'll try a small crop from the right and some tonality changes, however, on that score I doubt I can improve on what people have presented here (thanks Don for the latest repost). I'll have a go anyway.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

So sorry that I'm late to this one, John.
    Can't add much to what's been said already. Stunning, stunning image... love it!
    Ditto on bringing out more details, something which the reposts did well.

Wish this was mine.
    Have a great New Year's celebration
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Chardine View Post
    Thank you for all the great comments. I'll try a small crop from the right and some tonality changes, however, on that score I doubt I can improve on what people have presented here (thanks Don for the latest repost). I'll have a go anyway.
    John, I used an old PS trick from before NIK came out with CEP 4 and Tonal contrast just go to unsharp mask and put the following values in 10 for amount 60 for radius and 0 for threshold do it on a separate layer and you can fine tune it with the opacity slider or use a mask if you want to selective apply thew effect. Amazing image would love to see it printed on Fuji Pearl of Kodak metallic paper.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Killer reflection and beautiful colors.