Thread: Where should I go?

Michael Bertelsen

Default Where should I go?

Hi Guys,

I am looking at taking my family birding/camping on May 3rd and 4th.
    I live near Algonquin Park but pickins are slim right now.
    Would it be best to think of a trip to southern Ontario.
    I would appreciate any tips on places to go and places to camp.
    My 9 year old loves birding (owls, hawks, anything with wings) and he just got a camera for his birthday.

Thanks,

Michael Bertelsen

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Algonquin Park is usually productive around that time. Spruce Bog Trail is always sure to have Spruce Grouse strutting around, and very friendly Gray Jays eating out of your hand. Opeongo Rd. is reputed to be quite productive too.

If your are set in heading south the obvious popular choice among birders/photographers is Point Pelee. Presqu'ile has also been known to be just as productive at times...and you will be rubbing elbows with way less people!

Have a great time out with your family!

Michael Bertelsen

Thanks Daniel,

I am in Algonquin park twice a week for the past 2 weeks.
    And I know the area really well and for some reason its been slow this year.
    Thanks for the tips .

Michael Bertelsen

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I wouldn't go as far south as Pointe Peele that is a long drive... and most migration would be done there by now. On May 4 I am going to Prince Edward Point on Quinte Island.. to the bird banding station..
    http://www.peptbo.ca/
    .there is also Presqu'ille Park less than half the distance to Peele and right now I will try and do a link here.... they do have a list... for what birds are seen each week http://www.friendsofpresquile.on.ca/birding.htm

I would suggest highway 41 past Bon Echo.. got to be birds there if you are on that side of the park.. or close..
    I am from Kingston and my best spot in town for the last week has been Lemoins point but it is hard to say.. as small birds are migrating through although I did get a wood duck and mergansers on the water path.. chica dees , meadowlarks, red wing black birds, sometime owl and deer.. most birds headed north after the big melt and the usual places radically changed.. all the osprey will be building their nests this weekend .. the heron are back... I think Lemoins point will be less good for big water birds as motor boats rev up... then I go to Kingston mills or the Rideau campground.. probably the herons are there..along with flikers, woodpecker, goldfinch and ton of robins...I saw swans in Odessa Lake.. they could be on Quinte island.. possibly Wellington or West Lake..also osprey in Milford on the island.. at the baseball field..Osprey in park at Amherstview... or in the soccer field at RMC Kingston... if in Kingston .. on river behind the RMC swimming pool is good..these are a few ideas a bit closer