Thread: Tricolored Heron at Ding Darling FL

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tricolored Heron at Ding Darling FL

Attached Images Attached Images

Photographed mid morning in Spring 2007. Overcast sky with glimpses of sun.
    I'd be grateful for comment.

Iain Lowson

D200 300f2.8 1.4TC
    ISO 100
    f5.6
    1/100
    tripod and Kirk Cobra head

Ákos Lumnitzer

Hi Iain,

I love the colors of this bird. I think a little flash fill would highlight the richness of the plumage far more nicely. Also for my taste there is too much negative space.

Judy Lynn Malloch

This tricolor has Wonderful mating colors around the eye and beak and I like the intense pose. I do feel cropping a bit of the top and the right side would strengthen this image. The focus seems to be right on the eye so it is sharp where it should be. Thanks for sharing Lain.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Akos and Lynn

Thanks for the useful advice on cropping. I especially like the idea of cropping the right side as this would place the bird more as if it is looking into the frame.

Iain

Alfred Forns

Fully agree It is very nice but would rather tighten the image Would also go a little brighter !!!! Beautiful bird !!!

Blake Shadle

The overcast sky allowed for some nice color saturation. You definitely captured this tri-color in "stud mode". I'd like to feel a little more involved in the image, perhaps if your subject was angled facing the image plane (It feels like he's facing away from the image plane just a bit). A lower shooting angle might also help to improve the sense of connection with your subject. Also, the composition, I think this image would have much more impact if you aligned your subject's neck on the "rear-third" line, and his eye intersecting the "top-third" line. Keep em' coming!

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Wow.

Blake had a lot to say! And I agree.

On the positive side, the composition can be improved by a simple crop.

With the crop, the Tri's head will be higher in the frame and a better connection between viewer and subject will be made.
    When you bring the levels up, check for noise. You may need to apply a little noise reduction.

The image is nice and sharp.

The head direction will work, but a slight turn would put this over the top.

So bottom line most issue can be corrected post shutter. Alright!

I have found that the over all image quality is better, the less I must do at the computer.

With the beautiful saturation of the colors, application of levels or curves will offer a little pop!

Where did you take this beautiful image?

Thanks for sharing.

James

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You guys covered everything quite well. To sum up: needs head turned towards us, more light, and a good crop.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Jody Melanson

I agree with Ákos. I cropped it closer, used a Quick Mask to select inside the bird. I then used the Selection in a Brightness/Contrast Adjustment Layer. Boosted Brightness by 20 and Contrast by 7 in CS3. Sharpened with Focus Magic.

Ákos Lumnitzer

That's a great rework Jody. I wish I knew that much about CS3. :( Especially the QM techniques.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks again for all your helpful thoughts.

Iain