Thread: Raptors of Nepal

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Raptors of Nepal

If you follow this link:

http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=1021128

you will find a portfolio of images of the raptors (most) of Nepal that I have photographed in 2011-12 as they head east to west (migration) in the foothills of the Himalayas. Almost all images were shot hand-held - and all were done with the Canon 500mm F4 (version 1), and the current 800mm F5.6. In 2011 I used the 5D2 and this year the 5D3.

You can find images of Lammergeier (Bearded Vulture), Steppe Eagle, Bonelli's Eagle, Lesser Kestrel, Black Kite - about 23 species in all - including juvenile through adult plumages.

These photos are part of a research project on raptor and bird migration here. I work with a Nepalese man, Tulsi Subedi, to collect the data and get it published. We hope to have a report with photos detailing what happened here in terms of migration from Sep-Dec. (The location is near the small town of Khande about an hour's drive west of Pokhara.)

Robert DeCandido PhD
    Nepal and the Bronx, NYC

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful shots all Bob. Maybe my computer but I am having a hard time opening the pics.
    Last edited by Gary Kinard; 12-02-2012 at 02:00 AM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gary - yes I think it is your computer...when I follow that link and click on a photo, the image enlarges (if the data are/is there)...something is hijacking your computer.

Hope to see you in Thailand in 2013 - I have updated the images in that folder considerably as well.

Bob

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ok, figured out the problem. It was my internet connection.

I am going to try to head your way soon I hope? I am waiting until the rains quit here. This has been a strange November here in Phetchaburi.
    Enjoying shooting the shore birds here at the moment. It is just starting to really pick up here. Great birding to say the least. As you know. :)
    Last edited by Gary Kinard; 12-02-2012 at 10:18 AM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey - I just checked out your Thai portfolio - nice shots! I am jealous...and yes see you sooner than later!

rdc

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

So many lovelies