Thread: El Capitan Under a Full Moon

Rick Furmanek

Default El Capitan Under a Full Moon

Taken this past July @ 10:00 PM under a full moon
    176 second exposure @ f/4
    100 ISO
    24mm
    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM

Had to constantly battle tail lights and head lights passing through the valley. :)

Robert Amoruso

Cool shot. I like the deep blue sky and star trails. The cap looks to have excellent detail considering the log exposure. I like the diagonal the ridge makes through the image. I would have like to see a bit more of the tree tops on the bottom. A nice row of the the tops showing. I know that since it was probably real dark, refining to composition can be problematic.

Thanks for posting Rick.

Alfred Forns

Still can't get over this images taken at night !!!! Agree on the trees at bottom Fine image !!!!

Rick Furmanek

Quote Originally Posted by Al Forns View Post
    Still can't get over this images taken at night !!!! Agree on the trees at bottom Fine image !!!!
    The moon was so bright that I couldn't resist trying. After ten or twelve tries with car tail lights and head lights as well as not getting a good DOF, I finally told myself that I would try only one more time, and I'm glad I did. This was the image. No cars passed by for three whole minutes. It was perfect timing. I have it as a 20x30 hanging in my home. The detail is pretty amazing. One of those rare moments when everything works as it should.

As to the trees, I still prefer it this way with the focus on the face of the mountain and the star trails. No regrets. I suppose I could have tried one more time with the camera tilted down a little, but I'm pretty happy with it as is.;) It had been a long day shooting and I still had sixty miles to go before I could hit the sack.
    Last edited by Rick Furmanek; 01-06-2008 at 11:29 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Until I read what you had to go through to get it, I would have suggested going with an even longer exposure to make the trails longer. But with the stream of car headlights you had to contend with I think you did a great job creating this image.

Jason