Thread: Intermediate egret flight

Ákos Lumnitzer

Default Intermediate egret flight

30D, 300mm f/4L + EFII 1.4x, I cannot see EXIF (at work now). Little crop and used some shadow/highlights for underneath the wings.

Judy Lynn Malloch

The exposure looks good in this image and the eye is sharp as a tac. I would like to see a little more room at the top as I feel like the bird is in the upper third of the frame when I am llooking at the image. Very lovely flight shot.

Alfred Forns

I like it Particularly the under wing has good tones and did not suffer from S/H Very good wing position and bg Excellent !!!

Hillebrand Breuker

great exposure and very sharp. I really like white birds against a blue sky. Agree on the room above the bird.

Ákos Lumnitzer

Thanking each and every one of your for such constructive feedback. I wasn't sure whether to have more room on top, it may look better though. :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Wonderful bird. Wonderful image. Photoshop and Quick Mask magic yeilds a more pleasing composition. Is it cheating or using new technology to make a better image???

Later and love, artie

ps: There is a faint reddish circle in the sky on your original in front of the bird. I removed it below.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Is it cheating or using new technology to make a better image???
    Interesting question. One that I asked myself when I Photoshopped the quetzal I posted earlier today. Most of my good pictures get a maximum of 5 or 10 minutes of Photoshop treatment. I spent hours on the quetzal, working almost exclusively on the BG. The bird itself remained largely unedited. I'm still not sure how I shake out on this issue, but I'm interested in what other forum members have to say.

Ákos Lumnitzer

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brown View Post
    Interesting question. One that I asked myself when I Photoshopped the quetzal I posted earlier today. Most of my good pictures get a maximum of 5 or 10 minutes of Photoshop treatment. I spent hours on the quetzal, working almost exclusively on the BG. The bird itself remained largely unedited. I'm still not sure how I shake out on this issue, but I'm interested in what other forum members have to say.
    I am nowhere near as experienced with bird photography or PS as most of you guys here. I do tend to try and get an as pleasing image as possible in camera and then do a little unavoidable PP work in PS itself via layers. I need to learn so much.

I found the digital workflow section in ABPII - which my gorgeous wife bought me for my birthday last year - to be especially helpful with my work. I recall one particular image of a great egret in flight, which I had to add more canvas to as the bill was too close to the LHS and had to clone/heal more of the OOF BG to make it a bit more spacious. That is an exception for me though, I try not to abuse the system, but if something really special needs a treatment, then the technology is there IMHO and can be utilized.

Ákos Lumnitzer

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Wonderful bird. Wonderful image. Photoshop and Quick Mask magic yeilds a more pleasing composition. Is it cheating or using new technology to make a better image???

Later and love, artie

ps: There is a faint reddish circle in the sky on your original in front of the bird. I removed it below.
    Thanks Artie, :)

I could not even see it. I shall look on the RAW.

Nicole Brooker

I remember this. The flight position shows off the wings nicely. I like the suggestions. I like the original too.