Thread: Lapwing

Hillebrand Breuker

Default Lapwing

Attached Images Attached Images

This is an image from a few weeks ago. Lots of lapwings gathered at the Dutch coast to take the leap to the south. This one stayed very close to the roadside where I could photographe it with the 5D with 500/4+1.4tc. Other techs F8, manual exposure at 1/1600s and iso 400. Created with the lens on a beanbag on car window
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 01-06-2008 at 07:25 AM.

DanWalters

I like the low angle and the clean background.

Axel Hildebrandt

Great angle and details. The back of the bird looks a bit too contrasty. Maybe a bit S/H?

Nikolay Staykov - shotlandetsa

Ohh how adorable it is!
    The colorfull BG is lovely, and the sharpness is pinpoint.
    As for the S/H i will be very greatfull is someone can post process the same image using this technique with some detail explanations - most of us have dozens of images with such a contrast issue.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I always enjoy photos of this bird, and this is no exception. I find the grren part of the background above the bird a little distracting (although it does match the green feathers!)

Ákos Lumnitzer

This is a really nice creation. The plumage appears to glow and the background and angle is superb.

Judy Lynn Malloch

Very striking image and I like the low angle and lighting in this capture. The BG is very complimentary but I agree about the back feathers being a little contrasty. Beautiful bird and thanks for sharing.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is really sweet. I love the BG. My only nit would be for a touch more room on the bottom.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it, esp. the iridescent colors. I saved the image to do a SH/H clinic but when I try to open it in PS opened it Camera Raw... Weird as it says that it is a j-peg...

later and love,

artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Linda Robbins

Default REPOST with S/H

Attached Images Attached Images

Nikolay -

For detailed step-by-step instructions on how to optimize your images ( including S/H) I found Arthur Morris' "Digital Basics Guide invaluable. An early version of the Digital Basics Guide is also contained in "The Art of Bird Photography II" available on CD.

From Artie's guide, here are the basics of S/H:

You can not open S/H on it's own adjustment layer, so you will work on the background copy of your image. Click on Image/Adjustments/Shadow/Highlight. When the window opens, make sure to check the Show More Options box in the bottom left corner. Near the bottom of the window, enter "0" in both the Black Clip and White Clip boxes since you don't want any clipping.

The standard default amounts are too high, so I set Artie's recommendations as starting points, and then click on Save As Defaults which is located at the bottom left in the window. Try these settings for your defaults:

SHADOWS
    Amount 12
    Tonal Width 25
    Radius 30

HIGHLIGHTS
    Amount 1
    Tonal Width 12
    Radius 30

CLICK ON SAVE AS DEFAULTS

The Shadows-Amount slider indicates how much you are lightening the shadows. The above recommendations will work for many images, but some will require more or less, and you can experiment and see your changes as you move the various sliders. Moving this slider to the right will lighten the image more.

The Shadows -Tonal Width slider lets you choose the tonal range in the image which will be lightened by the S/H adjustment. At the default we set of 25, that means that the adjustment will affect the darkest 25% of the pixels in the image.

The Radius settings for both Shadows and Highlights are sort of like feathering the adjustments. A low setting contains the adjustment to a smaller area, and a higher setting affects more of the image. 30 works well for most images.

With contrasty images, or when you want to tone down some area of white in your image, you can make adjustments with the Highlights sliders. Moving the Highlights-Amount slider to the right will darken the highlights.

The Highlights-Tonal Width slider lets you choose the tonal range in the image which will be darkened by the adjustment. Artie's recommended starting point is 12. (If you set this to 75, it would mean that the lightest 75% of the pixels in the image would be affected by the adjustment)

As you move the various sliders, you can see the changes if the preview button is checked. You can click it on and off to see your changes better. Once you are satisfied, click OK.

I have reposted the image with a S/H adjustment. You can see that the shadows are opened up. I also took did some cloning on the background at about 30% opacity to tone down the splotchy areas, and to tone down the green over the birds back. I would actually do a little more cloning on the bg if it were my image.

Hope this helps!

Linda Robbins
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 01-06-2008 at 08:13 AM.

Dobromir Dobrinov

The BG is great,colours too.This is lovely bird!! I like the redaction that Linda make!

Hillebrand Breuker

Dear Linda, thank you very much for the detailed feedback and s/h explanation! I am going to try that on another image. The reworked image looks quite good. I had never thought about cloning the background, but it is good ideaa too. The only thing I miss a bit is the saturation of the colors