Thread: Confused by photo resizing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Confused by photo resizing.

Hi, I hope someone can answer my question. I've gone back and looked at some images which I processed last year and I've noticed something which I can't explain. On the ones I processed last year the image size is 745 X 450 pixels with document size 26 cm X 15 cm, 72ppi, so not a bad size for printing as well as displaying on the screen. I think this set were processed in Apples Aperture 3.

However, I'm now resizing my images in PSE10 and if I size a photo to 745 pixels wide then then resulting document size is roughly 7cm wide, 240ppi. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong if anything and perhaps the best way to resize for screen and print.

Thanks

Simon

Threads
    Thank You Posts

In each case, what is the file size, that is XXXKB ?
    Tom

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Wantling View Post
    Hi, I hope someone can answer my question. I've gone back and looked at some images which I processed last year and I've noticed something which I can't explain. On the ones I processed last year the image size is 745 X 450 pixels with document size 26 cm X 15 cm, 72ppi, so not a bad size for printing as well as displaying on the screen. I think this set were processed in Apples Aperture 3.

However, I'm now resizing my images in PSE10 and if I size a photo to 745 pixels wide then then resulting document size is roughly 7cm wide, 240ppi. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong if anything and perhaps the best way to resize for screen and print.
    Hi Simon,

First the standard for a sharp print is 300 ppi. In general a 72ppi print will appear soft.

There is a relation between document size with a given ppi and the number of pixels. So when one resizes an image, either a target number of pixels are specified or the print size and ppi are specified. # pixels = print size in each dimentsion times ppi. So in your example, 26 x 15 cm = 10.24 x 5.91 inches. Thus, pixels =
    10.24 * 72 x 5.91 * 72 = 737 x 425 pixels (close to your 745 x 450; your 26x15cm must have been rounded off).

So watch settings for print size and ppi or absolute pixel count. There is usually a check box to go from one mode to the other on the resize page.

Roger

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Must say I'm not sure your size of 745 x 450 pixels and 72 dpi s ideal for printing anything more than a postage stamp ? For example printing off an A4 size print well is best done at a minimum of say....3000x 2000 pixels and 300 dpi.

{ an 18 mp sensor like a Canon 7D will have a pixel dimension size of 5185 x 3456 pixels straight off camera }

In Elements check all the boxes on the bottom of the resize panel....that being the " scale size"..." constrain proportions "...."resample" check boxes. then simple alter the pixel dimensions and resolution to requirements, dont try to alter the document size figures