Thread: Home From the Southern Oceans Expedition #4

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Home From the Southern Oceans Expedition #4

Attached Images Attached Images

Lichens on a rock, St. Andrews Bay, South Georgia. Caught my eye while looking for a nice penguin to photograph. With the hand held Canon 24-105mm IS L lens (at 105mm) with the EOS-1D Mark IV. ISO 200. Evaluative metering +2/3 stop: 1/80 sec. at f/8.

Click here to see come killer King Penguin images.

To learn what happened to my 500 II and my 1D X check out the "Wrecked. And Loving It" blog post here.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Last edited by Peter Kes; 11-14-2012 at 06:22 PM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really like the comp you chose since it accentuates the yellow splash of color and pattern. The colors and various lines and patterns worked well for you in this creation.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Artie, This is terrific. I like the way the tiny scene looks more like a grand aerial landscape. Very nice placement of the mustard colored lichen.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie and welcome back! Lots of cool colors and patterns in this one. I like the diagonals in the LR and the ROT placement of the yellow lichens. Very nicely done!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice composition and I like how this is all about colors and structures. Like Denise, I was tricked into thinking this was a landscape seen from above, before I read the text below. Very well done!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks all. Made this to set the scene. The large rock was about 18 inches across. In a pinch, the 24-105 can serve as a pretty neat quasi-macro lens.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant Valerio Tarone's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie
    very nice composition.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Arthur,
    Very well composed and I love all the patterns with the well selected placement of the lichen.

Allen

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello, Arthur. Very nicely done. The details are awesome.
    Looking at everything around, it may be difficult, but is it possible to hike the color of the Lichen a bit more? Just a thought!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Artie, nice job of spotting this cool subject! This pic shows why I like shooting macro so much. Most people would have walked past this rock without noticing anything special about it. Your capture shows that if you stop and take a closer look at the small things that surround us, you never know what amazing things you might find!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PRABIR BHATTACHARYYA View Post
    Hello, Arthur. Very nicely done. The details are awesome. Looking at everything around, it may be difficult, but is it possible to hike the color of the Lichen a bit more? Just a thought!
    Many thanks. I boosted the YELLOWs a bit but did not want to overdo things.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Childs View Post
    Hey Artie, nice job of spotting this cool subject! This pic shows why I like shooting macro so much. Most people would have walked past this rock without noticing anything special about it. Your capture shows that if you stop and take a closer look at the small things that surround us, you never know what amazing things you might find!
    Thanks all and Ken. Ken, I agree 100%.

Forum Participant OvidiuCavasdan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well seen! Composition, colors and details are very nice. Thanks for posting the scene image.