Thread: Eastern Screech Owl

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Eastern Screech Owl

Attached Images Attached Images

This is an owl that we suspect is the same one we saw in the same cavity this spring. Is it the same one? Who knows. But we did not disturb it from discovery/photo day this spring until today when he appeared again. It was nice not to have hoards of birders/photgraphers around with him as he is in a busy park area. And it is kind of amazing nobody else had seen it to be honest. I chose this phot as I thought it was more interesting than the usual straight on shot. Here he is watching a dog walk by as we took the picture. D800 600VR 1.4TC 1/100 @f8 ISO 1000 Fill @-2.3.

Last edited by Peter Kes; 11-02-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very nice closeup but it seems kind of bleached out.
    Maybe this was purposeful, but the Owl seems very light and the eye color not natural.
    Very sharp, very nice comp, if you desaturated on purpose, for me it does not look right,
    If just a PP issue, I would go back and add color to the image.
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I do like your different angle on this bird. Agree that it looks desaturated, maybe the flash caused that if not pp. I have only seen westerns' so maybe he should be light. Great capture, nice to find one and not have to worry about others disturbing him.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have pictures with different camera from different dates in time ( and 2 different photogs with both Canon and Nikon). His eyes are actually almost a gray-ish color in all of these photos. So maybe it is the same owl. Or perhaps many people are over saturating the eye to bring out the yellow too much. Regardless, this is his eye color of this particular owl. The vibrance was set at 29 actually. And there was no desaturation (saturation of 7). But to have people recognize this leads me to believe this is the same owl from the spring.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Eastern screech owls come in 2 colors: mostly gray or mostly reddish-brown (rufous). This is an example of a gray owl. Consequently, the color seems right to my eye. It's a lovely image with good sharpness & a very entertaining pose. Although the right side of the tree seems a bit light to me, I think the exposure is right on & the flash work is good. TFS.
    Andrew

6. Thanks Jon Swanson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the head-turn Jon as it really makes the composition work for me. The colour and texture of the tree-bark really compliments the owl. I note that the space behind the owl is not as dark as expected Jon - did you have to work PP to lighten that area?
    I think a darker tone would work best for me.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Hohn. The flash actually lightened the back cavity area. I did not really do much because the tendency seems to be to make something (color) out of nothing with this 'strain' of screech owl. He blended in so well people could not find him when 12 feet away and he was only 10 feet up. I bracketed so I had a variety of exposures to choose from. I also agree the front part of the truck needs to be toned down from the flash.

I really appreciate all the comments. It helps me learn and explain the shot/subject better to the viewer :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really sweet image Jon. I really like how you composed this too.
    The owl's head cock and bit of a squint give some great personality to the image.
    If anything, a slight toning down of the bark surface on the right hand side seems
    like a reasonable consideration...Great image and congrats.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the head turn, and being able to see the claws. The nest hole look very nice as well. Excellent picture, Jon. I would darken, (linear burn) the right side of the trunk.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Never seen one in gray tones and this looks cool. I like the peeking out pose. Could maybe be toned down a little as far as brightness.

12. Thanks Jon Swanson thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, there's lots of good info above! I am not familiar with this species but when I saw the picture one thing that came to my mind is that is looked wash out. Now I understand is how the owl looks in real life and that makes the pic for me. I would not hesitate to tone down the tree so the owl would stand out, IMO.

14. Thanks Jon Swanson thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the tilt to the head, and the nice sharp focus. I would also vote to tone down the brightness on the RH side of the trunk; the bird looks good to me.

16. Thanks Jon Swanson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super cavity and love that pose. Good use of flash. I would burn the tree bit if it were mine.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook