Thread: Down in the Dungeons

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Down in the Dungeons

Attached Images Attached Images

This young Black-crowned Night Heron either got booted out of his nest or fell out and ended up at the bottom of the mangrove. I heard a loud squawking which is how I discovered him. It was extremely dark under there, hence the high ISO.

For some reason, I guess b/c of the story is portrays, I am attached to this image. It's already a large crop. It was very tough to work on b/c of the noise and the highlights showing through the mangroves. I am curious about your opinions on this one, and if you can see anywhere I could possibly improve upon it. Thank you in advance for any comments, critiques or advice.

Canon 1D3, Canon 400 DO
    F5.6, 1/800sec, ISO 3200, manual mode
    Handheld while kneeling in shallow water

Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    www.marinascarrphotography.com

Last edited by Peter Kes; 11-01-2012 at 07:29 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great title and I really like the way the environment shows the size of this little guy. He really stands out well and great expression and story.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Marina, very nice! I'm not sure that I would change a thing. The crop that you selected works very well, and I can see how you (or I) could get attached to an image like this with the story that you gave. It's a great moment captured in time, that's for sure!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This image tells a great story, almost metaphorical for its suggestion of the big bad world awaiting an unwilling fledgling. Great job processing this as I don't see any noise. I like your composition. Kind of a creepy overall feel that goes well with Halloween time!
    Man that shallow water you were in must have been mucky, from the looks of this setting...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it as presented Marina. I think you did a great job with this image due to the high ISO used and can barely notice any noise.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A dramatic capture Marina - as the saying goes "A picure is worth a thousands words". Well seen and taken.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great Capture - I really like this one :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's dramatic, a little "dark", and makes one wonder a number of things even without your explanation, though I appreciate
    the background that you provided. It's a sweet image and I would not change a thing. Great subject motion and animation!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A great and unique image, Marina. I like everything about it. Exposure and lighting are fine. The lack of noise and the sharpness give testament to the crop-ability (is that a word??) of today's DSLR images. Just a question: what was the outcome? Did the mama rescue him?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marina, great work on your pp, as there is no noise eveident from this side. Love the 'crawling out' pose from the juvi, together with the open bill. A busy BG, but since the juvi is out in the open, it doesnt distract at all - infact, I like the surrounds as captured.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent image Marina! I like the dark setting, IQ and composition. Very effective image.