Thread: Coot with suggestions

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Coot with suggestions

Attached Images Attached Images

Turned down the blue channel 36 per Daniel Cadieux's recommendation, a bit better HA, although turned a tad away from optimal I think.
    I got a lot of photos of prettier ducks the other evening, Widgeons, Wood Ducks, etc., but I sort of like the lowly Coot in these reflections
    and they are a good challenge to expose correctly.
    The color looks better for the Coot, I think.
    Someone asked how I got so close?
    The duck pond should be famous, The Rhododendron Garden in Portland, Oregon.
    A private garden open to the public (thus all the color reflections in the water). It has a 20 acre pond with inlets and has a resident
    year round population of Mallards and Wood Ducks that are really friendly. In the Winter, all the wild migrating ducks fly in and become as friendly
    as the Mallards. Buffleheads and Mergansers will get within 15-20 feet of shore and people.
    That is the story, if any of you are ever in Portland and want to photo Ducks of all kinds in the winter, let me know.

1/320, f5.6, 500mm, iso1600, D800, HH

DSC_2817bp.jpg

Last edited by Peter Kes; 10-31-2012 at 01:09 PM.
    Dan Kearl

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the colors on this one Dan, also golden water make this image special. It always great to get in so close, cool shot.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree that the coot's color is now more neutral as would be expected, but i prefer the water and pose of the coot in the original post!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice colors. You have done well in exposing the coot and the detail in the blacks shows that. Water in bill and red eye add to the scene. Nice work

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice pose, excellent feather details, perfect exposure and beautiful water, Dan.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

In my opinion, a "good" head angle could never substitute for magical water. I much prefer your last post of the same beast. As for this picture, it's quite nice, absolutely, but lacks the va-va-voom you had last time around. Pardon my unscientific commentary. Can't thank you enough for your stories of the Portland pond. It sounds marvelous, and I hope to visit Oregon someday. Last: I like your sense of humor. We both know the coot is FAR from lowly. If loving a beast with feet like those is wrong, I refuse to be right!
    Last edited by Jack Breakfast; 10-31-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm with Jack here in that I preferred your previous post, including the HA (which here is actually looking away from the viewer). I do prefer the plumage without a colour cast here though, if you can apply that to your previous image that would be super.