Thread: The Angel of Marye's Heights

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The Angel of Marye's Heights

Attached Images Attached Images

My early exposure to the Civil War was rather clinical -- names and dates, mostly. It wasn't until 2 1/2 years ago, when we took a side trip off the Natchez Trace and I photographed some wonderful memorial statues at Vicksburg, that knowing any more about that part of our history was even a thought. More than a year later, I had extra time on my own in Fredericksburg, Virginia. When I looked for something to do and ended up at the Fredericksburg Battlefield, the Civil War became very real because of a memorial, there, that made the human side of the conflict unforgettable. I've tried to tell the story with this image. Although the letter was never really written, the accounts in it are true. I wouldn't be surprised if similar letters were written, though, by soldiers on both sides. Certainly, the emotions were felt. According to the inscription on the memorial, both Confederate and Union troops in that battle referred to Richard Kirkland, the Confederate sergeant, as the Angel of Marye's Heights. Near the top of my to-do list is the creation of many more images that capture the visual and human sides of that war. If any of you know of something I should include in the project, please let me know.

The actual background, with leafy trees in early June, didn't work for a battle that took place in mid-December. The background you see was a nine-exposure HDR image of a misty November sunrise in southeastern Michigan. It was altered with a B&W Fractalius preset, a B&W Alien Skin Stylize Line Art preset (both with Multiply blend mode), Topaz Simplify Watercolor II, and Alien Skin Bokeh with a strong zoom setting. Red Giant's Knoll Light Factory was used for added effects.

The paper was made from two different Flypaper Textures and one Shadowhouse Creations layers.

The memorial statue is from a nine-exposure HDR at 1 EV increments.
    • Nikon D3s, ISO 200, f/8, zoom lens at 85mm
    • Topaz Simplify -- Watercolor II, Screen blend mode at greatly reduced opacity
    • Fractalius -- two B&W presets based on the old Sketch preset (one applied only to the base of the statue), Multiply blend mode
    • Alien Skin Snap Art -- Stylize Line Art, 3 layers (gray & white for the Confederate soldier, blue & white for the Union soldier, black & white for the base), all Multiply blend mode
    • Photo Filter adjustment layer (blue) -- for the Union soldier

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dennis, this is an image that is worthy of the man and the others who I'm sure were like him. War is an awful thing and I think is more of an abstract thought in this country because we have so many distractions and it is such a distant memory. I love the many touches you have added that all lend themselves to the emotions of the memorial - the light beams, the stark trees in the background, the aging of the letter, the letter itself and the different writing styles. I think your project idea is a great one and I hope it comes to fruition. One of the most moving memorials that I have experienced is the Vietnam War Memorial. It has such a visceral feel to it and I am always overcome when I walk over the hill and see it.
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly" - The Little Prince

http://tuscawillaphotographycherylslechta.zenfolio.com/

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Your creation is very interesting, Dennis, and I think I have a few questions. You surely worked very hard at this project, and it shows. I love the BG you created here but was this an actual BG or did you add it after the fact? Love the paper and the letter is extremely moving. I realize you created the paper for the image but did you also create the letter or was this an actual letter?

Thank you for sharing.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Dennis,
    I love that the letter was never really written but the accounts in it are true. You have given me goose bumps and you have very much succeeded in conveying the human side of the conflict. And your image is unforgettable. The background is a work of art as is the entire piece. Superb!!