Thread: Yellow Rumped Warbler?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Yellow Rumped Warbler?

If I am not wrong,this is a Yellow Rumped Warbler in its natural habitat. Took this shot at a local refuge. No baiting,audio,Backyard set-up or Hide used.Plain old waiting n waiting for a long time and approach used.

D300s, 300mm + TC20III ,ISO-400,1/1250s,F 5.6, Manual exp on monopod.Full frame with a sliver cropped from either sides.

Name:  DSC2338-Edit-XL.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  143.9 KB

Last edited by Peter Kes; 10-15-2012 at 02:23 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The bird looks lovely, and the background is very sweet and soft. Your ID is correct also. The biggest problem, for me, is the clipped claws! Some more room on the bottom would have been ideal, that's for sure. The eye and head look a little soft to me, but I'd like to see what others have to say about that. My gut feeling is that your focal point was elsewhere? Might you have any others with the claws intact? Oh! Another tip: you might have stopped down to f8 and shot at iso800...these lenses tend to not be quite as sharp with the 2x teleconverters on, and stopping down to f8 is very helpful, I feel.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Most definitely a Yellow-rumped Warbler (or Myrtle Warbler to be more precise); or as some local birders call him, a"Butterbutt". Nicely captured with a good head angle. He's a little tight in the frame, and I agree with Jack about the feet. But of course you didn't have time to switch to a 1.4X.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like your "plain old approach". It's time tested and proven to be effective
    Definitely a yellow rumped warbler (myrtle as previously stated). Light quality
    is excellent. Head angle and eye contact are excellent. The subject is too big
    in the frame, and if there was any question about that, the clipped toes and
    extremely shallow dof at this (distance to subject/focal length used), only amplify
    the feeling. A bit more sharpening of the facial area of the bird would help to
    improve the image. One benefit of having the warbler this big in the frame, is that
    the missing tail is less of an issue....

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sanjeev:
    Excellent image.I like the pose,colors and details.Agree about tight crop.

Regards,
    Satish.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great job by the critiquers above!! I agree, and also agree with the ID. Cute inquisitive pose.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for your Comments.I too feel that the frame is a bit tight.Unfortunately the Bird perched too close to me and I had no time to change my TC.I'll try and give another round of USM.
    Regards