Thread: Song of the Crested Bunting Male.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Song of the Crested Bunting Male.

My first video of song of the bird with Canon550D,100-400mm. Taken today morning at Sinhgad Fort at Pune,India.

Thanks for viewing and appreciation. C & C are highly appreciated.
    Kind Regards.

http://youtu.be/y_aeQR6cOC0

Last edited by Peter Kes; 10-28-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Satish,

I could not really hear the bird singing. Did you use the internal microphone with the camera? I ask because it sounds like I might be hearing the sounds from the image stabilization motor. The background sounds (including people talking) hide the singing bird. There are some clear bird sounds (cawing) at the end, that is a different bird, correct?

If you used an internal microphone, try an external one that is isolated (for example by rubber). if you did use an external microphone, perhaps one that is more directional. I made a mistake on my last African safari, for example. I have a nice Rode microphone which I normally mount on a flash bracket, but I elected not to bring it. So I mounted the microphone in the camera hot shoe. That placed it far enough back that it picked up the IS motor noise from my 300 f.2,8 lens, so it sounds like a car engine running in the background. The microphone must be mounted high and forward enough to avoid the IS motor sounds.

Roger

West Chester, PA, (summer), Florida (winter)
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Satish and Roger
    I hear the bird song quite clearly with my Sony headphones plugged directly into my computer. I also hear the background rumble that Roger refers to as well as the call of a different bird at the end. This medium brings a fresh appreciation of what bird life adds to nature.

Andre

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Clark View Post
    Hello Satish,

I could not really hear the bird singing. Did you use the internal microphone with the camera? I ask because it sounds like I might be hearing the sounds from the image stabilization motor. The background sounds (including people talking) hide the singing bird. There are some clear bird sounds (cawing) at the end, that is a different bird, correct?

If you used an internal microphone, try an external one that is isolated (for example by rubber). if you did use an external microphone, perhaps one that is more directional. I made a mistake on my last African safari, for example. I have a nice Rode microphone which I normally mount on a flash bracket, but I elected not to bring it. So I mounted the microphone in the camera hot shoe. That placed it far enough back that it picked up the IS motor noise from my 300 f.2,8 lens, so it sounds like a car engine running in the background. The microphone must be mounted high and forward enough to avoid the IS motor sounds.

Roger
    Yes Sir,I have used internal microphone.In future I will try to use external,whenever possible.

Regards,
    Satish.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice to see this species of Bunting. I can hear a lot of similarity between the songs of the Indigo Bunting and the Crested. I had no problem at all hearing the calls, they were quite clear. The one thing that I suggest, is mount your camera on a tripod; you want movement coming only from your subject in most cases. Otherwise, nice capture of this amazing bird!