Thread: Coming Soon: Bosque del Apache NWR

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Coming Soon: Bosque del Apache NWR

Attached Images Attached Images

I will be returning to Bosque for the 18th straight year in part to celebrate the memory of my late wife Elaine who died on November 20, 1994. First though Denise Ippolito and I will be on the Cheesemans' South Georgia/Falklands Expedition; life is good.

I have been getting folders from the past year off of my laptop and came across this unprocessed image. Un-cropped but moved bird back in the frame.

This adult Snow Goose was photographed with the Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens and the (unfortunately discontinued) EOS-1DMark IV. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +2/3 stop off the light blue sky: 1/1250 sec. at f/6.3 in Manual mode.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the wing tip blur and the beautiful details in the whites. Composition wise it is spot on. It was certainly worth processing, Artie. Thanks for sharing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shooting angle, beautiful light great details and sharpness of the bordy.
    The blurred wings tips are very nice but I was wondering if you could have gone up to ISO 800 and 1/1600 s to get more details in the wings.
    It is a very appealing picture. I hope there won't be snowstorm there this year.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Classic image from Bosque...very nice.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a gorgeous wing position! Love it!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Egressy View Post
    Great shooting angle, beautiful light great details and sharpness of the bird. The blurred wings tips are very nice but I was wondering if you could have gone up to ISO 800 and 1/1600 s to get more details in the wings. It is a very appealing picture. I hope there won't be snowstorm there this year.
    Slightly confused; at what aperture? It sounds as if you were there during the mega-storm a year or two ago.... I pray for snow every day when I am there....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Slightly confused; at what aperture? It sounds as if you were there during the mega-storm a year or two ago.... I pray for snow every day when I am there....
    Same aperture and higher ISO like 800 to give you shorter shutter speed. I don't know off hand but guessing it would have been 1/1600.
    I was there. The roads were closed for almost two days. Othewise we had great shooting.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gorgeous Image.Love the pose,details in whites,lights and beautiful composition.

Regards,
    Satish.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Same aperture and higher ISO like 800 to give you shorter shutter speed. I don't know off hand but guessing it would have been 1/1600. I was there. The roads were closed for almost two days. Othewise we had great shooting.
    Now you are confused :). I was working in Manual mode. What shutter speed and aperture settings are you recommending had I switched from ISO 400 to ISO 800?

That snow storm was a freak of nature. I pray for any and all weather except for clear with full sun and blue skies, except for from 10 minutes after sunrise until 11 am on days with winds with a southerly or easterly component .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, excellent exposure, sharp where it counts, and love how the bill and legs pop in the overall image. Well captured, and wish I could visit that location with all the different species you guys will see there.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Stu. Not a lot of different species but lots of good chances .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice flight pose, good capture.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Now you are confused :). I was working in Manual mode. What shutter speed and aperture settings are you recommending had I switched from ISO 400 to ISO 800?

That snow storm was a freak of nature. I pray for any and all weather except for clear with full sun and blue skies, except for from 10 minutes after sunrise until 11 am on days with winds with a southerly or easterly component .
    I would have done the same as you did; set it to ISO 800, take a measurement at the bottom of the horizon where the sky is the brightest and set the needle to +2/3 in manual ,
    which would have given you either 1/1600 s or 1/2000 s assuming that you kept the aperture at 6.3.
    I know you know all of these much better than anybody else. I just tell what I do so you can correct me if you wish.
    Yes, the storm was pretty bad, worse than that I experienced in Ontario for a long time.
    I agree, about your favorite shooting conditions.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey again Karl, If I started at ISO 400 at 1/1250 sec. at f/6.3 the equivalent exposure at ISO 800 would be 1/1600 sec. at f/8. Or 1/2000 sec at f/7.1. Or 1/2500 sec at f/6.3. Which were you suggesting ?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would have done the same as you did; set it to ISO 800, take a measurement at the bottom of the horizon where the sky is the brightest and set the needle to +2/3 in manual ,
    which would have given you either 1/1600 s or 1/2000 s assuming that you kept the aperture at 6.3.
    Ah, I just re-read what you wrote more carefully. You f/stop math is off. Best to study all the shutter speeds, apertures, and ISOs in third stops so that you are fluent in them.

In the areas we are talking about we are dealing with ISO 400/500/640, and 800. Shutter speeds: 1/1000, 1/1250, 1/1600, 1/2000, 1/2500, 1/3200.... Apertures are f/5.6, f/6.3, f/7.1, f/8, f/9, f/10, f/11.... All in third stops.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey again Karl, If I started at ISO 400 at 1/1250 sec. at f/6.3 the equivalent exposure at ISO 800 would be 1/1600 sec. at f/8. Or 1/2000 sec at f/7.1. Or 1/2500 sec at f/6.3. Which were you suggesting ?
    Either 1/1600 or 1/2000 but 1/1250 looks pretty good to me. It depends on how much wing tip blur you want to get.
    I guess at 1/2500 s there wouldn't have been any wing tip blur therefore it is out. Now I wish I wouldnt' have said anything since the picture is so good.
    Ho can a laymen like me have any constructive suggestion to the prof.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey, I often learn a lot from critiques here, often from folks with two+ decades less experience than I have.... My questions were not in defense of my image, just trying to help you learn. You got in trouble initially when you wrote, " I was wondering if you could have gone up to ISO 800 and 1/1600 s to get more details in the wings." Did you want wings more frozen or did you want more detail??? With the same exposure details in the WHITEs would be pretty much the same. A small increase in d-o-f would not go much .
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 10-06-2012 at 02:40 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely warm light here Arthur! and the blurred wing tips gives this image a lot of life and action. A very pleasing image!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful shot.Very nice light, exposed very well, and great comp.
    Well done.