Thread: Color shifting in DPP

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Color shifting in DPP

Attached Images Attached Images

So I get back from a trip to the coast and see that DPP is shifting the color of my images about 1100 Kelvin when exporting as a jpeg or exporting to Photoshop. This is extremely annoying and I don't know how to fix it or what caused it. The left side is as shot, the right side is in CS3 after DPP has exported it. Anyone that can help would be appreciated. And please lend some assistance before I through my monitor out the window.

Nothing has changed in my options or workflow. I'm baffled.

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Colin,

Perhaps an operating system update changed something?

To help diagnose problems, see if these pages help:

http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/....your.monitor/

http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_...Gprofiles.html

While the second in particular talks about web browsers, it might help lead you to the source of the problem.

Please let us know what you find.

Roger

Threads
    Thank You Posts

your DPP color profile is off

go to preferences -->color management --> Default workspace = Adobe RGB (your RAW conversion space will be set to Adobe RGB)

Color Matching settings--> for display--> click "Use OS settings" (will use correct display profile)

this should fix it
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Roger, thanks for those helpful links! Arash- that did the trick.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting how now all of the images taken on AWB look terrible. Generally, the 5D III WB is excellent outside. Something still seems off.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

with the setting above, DPP uses whatever display profile you have set for your PC to display images. If the monitor/OS color profile is not correct colors will look strange but that is outside DPP settings.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

@Colin: Based on the photograph of your screen (which, admittedly, is stretching things a bit), it appears to be calibrated towards the warmer end of the spectrum anyway. I am not sure if you have actually explicitly calibrated your screen with a DataColor, X-Rite, or Pantone screen color profiling device and software, but you might want to pick one up and run through a calibration. Screen calibration should be tuned for the white point of your most common output format, so you work on your images in a context close to to that final output. If you print on natural fine art papers a lot, you probably want a warmer white point, such as 5000K (D50). If you most frequently publish online, you might want a cooler white point such as 6500K (D65), which is the most common default white point screens are calibrated to these days. If you print on papers with a brighter white, particularly papers with optical brighteners, you might also want a cooler calibration, such as 5500K or 6500K.

Personally, I both publish online and print a lot, and I print on a very wide variety of papers (I'm a bit of a print geek). I calibrate my screen to 5500K-5800K (depends), which produces a more neutral, natural white that works for everything. If your screen is indeed calibrated to a warm white point, recalibrating to 5800K or 6500K would probably produce results more like what DPP rendered originally (before you followed Arash's advice to use the OS profile.)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon. This is a subject of which I know nothing about, so your input is much appreciated. Until recently, I "lucked out". I print everything through a lab in NC and have had great results with color. But as I said in my OP something changed drastically. Honestly I'm just as interested in knowing what changed in the first place as I am in knowing how to proceed from here. I def need to look in to calibration software, so thanks for that.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I had something similar and had to reset my monitor colour profile and that sorted it. It happened shortly after I calibrated my monitor. I had to reset the colour prfoile and scrub the calibration settings and start again.

I spent hours changing PS and DPP profiles but it came down to the monitor.

Maybe it was a windoes upgrade.

Jamie