Thread: Full frontal

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Full frontal

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi everyone,

This is one from Poland, where Jasper and I found some very cooperative white tailed eagles. We spend about 4 mornings with them, and this the only image I have from one comming directly towards us. Makes him look kinda funny :)

Comments are welcome,

Canon EOS 30D 1/1000 f8
    ISO 400
    Canon 100-400 L IS USM
    Focal Length 400mm
    RAW Handheld
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 01-05-2008 at 02:59 PM.

Axel Hildebrandt

Great timing, Krijn. He really looks funny from this perspective. Maybe a bit S/H for more underwing details and the v-shaped under the head is a bit distracting. I'd love to see this species sometime.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Funny as long as you are not a fish. BTW, were the eagles being baited with fish? As for the image, it is very nice: sharp, good exposure, and I like the crop.

Here is a great tip when using Shadow/Highlight: if you are making any other than a very small adjustment, the areas being lightened can get muddy and noisy very quickly. To lessen this effect, move the Mid-Tone Contrast slider to the right 8-15 points. If the lightened area still looks a bit yucky, cut back on the Shadow amount or the tonal width (or both).

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Judy Lynn Malloch

Very dramatique action Krijn that you captured here. I would like to have seen a little more detail on the underside of the wings and as Axel mentioned perhaps a touch of S/H will help. What a great experience you and Jasper must have had. Thanks for sharing

Nikolay Staykov - shotlandetsa

"Funny as long as you are not a fish" :cool: - nice try!

The pose, sharpness and colors are so good. A very dramatic moment, indeed.

Well, this S/H technique, that Arthur mentioned will be interesting to be seen, as I never used it for now.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Funny as long as you are not a fish. BTW, were the eagles being baited with fish?

Hi Arthur,

The eagles were baited with fish. Sorry I didn't mention that.....We couldn't have gotten them down without the fish :)

Cheers

Martin Dyer

Dramatic image - lots of impact

Looking forward to seeing these again later this year when I get back to Mull in Scotland - don't get to see them like this though

Martin

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice capture, the timing is perfect!

Jody Melanson

Wonderful as presented!

Dobromir Dobrinov

Perfect timing,great job:)