Thread: Central Florida 1/30-2/3

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Central Florida 1/30-2/3

I'll be down in Orlando from Jan 30th through Feb 3rd for a friend's wedding. Wedding is Saturday the 2nd, so I'm coming down early to spend some time with family and fully intend to get a day or two of birding in.

I've got some fairly specific wants from a lifelist standpoint...and seeing them would take priority over getting amazing shots of them. I'll have a car and have no problems trekking a few hours each way if need be, depending on the reward.

What I'd really love to see....

Sandwich/Caspian/Royal/Gull-billed Terns
    Wilson's/Snowy Plover
    Limpkin/King Rail/American Bittern
    Western Sandpiper/Long-billed Curlew/Whimbrel

Those are just the main 'gets' that come to mind. I lived around Orlando before going off to college and unfortunately was never into birding then. I have all of the Heron/Egrets aside from Am. Bittern already, but a large chunk of the 'common' stuff would probably be lifers for me (ie Carolina Chickadee, Brown-headed Nuthatch, etc).

Thanks in advance!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe: The best places for you to go while you are in the Orlando area are Gatorland and Circle B Bar Reserve. You will find American Bittern at Circle B by the way.

Sandwich/Caspian/Royal/Gull-billed Terns - You will find Sandwich and Royal terns at Fort DeSoto, but probably not as much luck with the other 2.
    Wilson's/Snowy Plover - You can probably find both at Fort Desoto but much easier to find Wilson's Plover.
    Limpkin/King Rail/American Bittern - American Bittern and Limpkin all over Circle B. There were 12 AMBI last season and Limpkin everywhere. Not sure about the King Rail.
    Western Sandpiper/Long-billed Curlew/Whimbrel - The Long-billed Curlew is at Fort DeSoto right now but can't say for sure it will be there in Jan-Feb. Whimbrel shows up from time to time and you should be able to spot a Western Sandpiper there also.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Marina, I will go in November this year. I intend to rent one of Canon's super telephotos. I was checking online the rental companies and noticed that they don't offer an insurance option against theft. How safe are these places to go alone with such gear ? And which focal length do you think would be the best choice (since I'm renting) for those places ? 300mm, 400mm, 500mm ? I'll bring TCs 1.4x and maybe 2.0x.

Thank you.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

They are quite safe in my opinion, but make sure you keep any gear hidden in your trunk.

If I were in your shoes, I would probably rent either a 300 with a 1.4 and a 2.0 TC or a 500 and a 1.4.

Keep in mind that Gatorland is not a place to visit until late January through late July or so.

PM 10 days before you are to arrive to find out what else might be going on in the area at that time.
    Marina Scarr
    Website, Facebook

5. Thanks fabiobernardino thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Fabio:

Found out about a new lens rental option where you can pick up the equipment you rent near Orlando or in Tampa. Here is the link: http://thelensdepot.com/shopping/sta...browse=1&cat=3. You can also pay a little more to get insurance.

Hope this helps.
    Marina Scarr
    Website, Facebook

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you. I checked the website but they don't carry the Canon super-telephotos that I would like to try.
    But it is good to know. My only reference so far was lensrentals.com.
    I'll try to go to Fort de Soto and probably Gatorland that is very close. Although I think I read something about the ongoing politics about the place so I'm not sure if I should go or not.
    If someone who lives near who would like to join me it would be nice to meet some BPN members !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Fabio:

I will probably be able to meet you at Circle B or Fort DeSoto depending on my schedule when you arrive. PM me before you come and we'll set something up and let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.
    Marina Scarr
    Website, Facebook

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fabiobernardino View Post
    Thank you. I checked the website but they don't carry the Canon super-telephotos that I would like to try.
    But it is good to know. My only reference so far was lensrentals.com.
    I'll try to go to Fort de Soto and probably Gatorland that is very close. Although I think I read something about the ongoing politics about the place so I'm not sure if I should go or not.
    If someone who lives near who would like to join me it would be nice to meet some BPN members !
    Try LensPal based here in the Orlando area. If you go to my website, there is a LensPal link at the bottom of each page. Please ask for Stephen and tell him I sent you.
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

10. Thanks fabiobernardino thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

There are lots of King Rail at Viera Wetlands, but they are hard to spot.
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'll be on vacation so my days are fixed. I will arrive in Orlando Nov. 6. Days available to go birding are 7 (Wed) and 8 (Thu). My family arrives on Friday early morning. I will stay until Nov. 18. Maybe I can take 2-3 days when they are there to go birding. I will have a car when I arrive, later I will have to rent for that day as they will have the car or I'll drop them at some Disney park and get them later at the end of the day.

Thank you for your help. PM me if you'd like/need something from Rio de Janeiro or Brazil.