Thread: Juvenile Black Crowned Night Heron

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Juvenile Black Crowned Night Heron

Took this Shot of Juvenile Black Crowned Heron at Big John's Pond in JBWR couple of weeks back.This is a full frame shot.

D300S,300mm + TC14e, 1/125s, f/6.3,ISO-400, Manual Exposure and Handheld.

Comments & Suggestion appreciated.

Name:  DSC1041-Edit-XL.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  164.1 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sanjeev,

You are a steady poster, good photographer and I alway enjoy your work. I want you to tell me what you think about the background in this image. What are the opportunities here; basically I am asking you to critique your image regarding background and possible distracting elements?

My friend - what say you?
    Last edited by Jeff Cashdollar; 09-20-2012 at 05:01 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jeff,Thanks for your comment & Compliments.

I do agree that the BG is not very pleasing as is and there is space for me to work on it to make it look a lil better.I could have cloned out the dominant leaf and reduced the highlights on the others to start with.While I am at it I could add another round of USM.Let me work on them again and see what I come up with and re-post one later.Thanks for pointing out the issue.

Cheers..

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev- Nice colour and great eye. I'll talk about the bird. The sharpness is good but could be bumped up a little more. For a portrait like this I might go in tighter on the head and compose so that the eye is around about the top-left Rule of Thirds intersection. When you leave that much of the body in the image the viewer is asking in the back of the mind, what lies further down. This then distracts from the main attraction which is the head and eye.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks John.I will definitely work on your suggestions.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sanjeev,

Your review of the image is spot on, well done. Consider performing a similar review in the camera and in post processing. I am not suggesting that only perfect pictures should be posted and every pic I post there are opportunities to improve and listen to feedback from others. But you must be able to control the frame, moreover the subject, foreground and BACKGROUND!

Keep em coming, you are getting better.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev, good comments above. I would add that your shutter speed needed to be higher here to prevent the motion blur that is evident in the image.
    "It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera... they are made with the eye, heart, and head." - Henri Cartier Bresson

Please visit me on the web at http://kerryperkinsphotography.com