Thread: Arcari - Needs HL Fix

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Arcari - Needs HL Fix

Attached Images Attached Images

Photo of pale billed arcari taken at Los Bancos , Ecuador in November. I had just a few seconds before bird flew off. Artie should recognize the bird.

BG is untouched - bird only sharpened with USM (100, .3 , 4) x 2 for web
    How would you advise dealing with circular highlight artifacts - tight cropping, special PS filtering, cloning or masking them out, ...? Can they be avoided at time of original photo?

1D Mk3 with 500mm/f4 IS on tripod AI Servo AF f/5.6 1/500 ISO 1000

Advice would be greatly appreciated or is it a lost cause?

Axel Hildebrandt

What a beautiful bird. I like the details and exposure control. As for the BG, I think Fabs has a tutorial somewhere about this but I can't find it right now. Maybe she will chime in later.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'd crop it a bit and enjoy the bird. Otherwise a good few hours work with no guarantee of success. I believe that Pale-mandibled Aricari is the correct name. BTW, it is very sharp and a nice glance back when needed...

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Peter
    It would be a task to change the BG...at least for me. It's a beautiful bird and given the details and sharpness I certainly wouldn't want to ditch it. Cropping in a little tighter draws you attention more to the bird....and thus less emphasis on the BG.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Definitely not a lost cause. Wouldn't be too difficult to fix in PS. Send me a jpg if you like, and I'll see what I can do with it.

Jody Melanson

Here I cropped it tighter and then used a Quick Mask to select the bird, inverted the Mask and then blurred the BG using Lens Blur.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

jody -
    thanks a lot
    never seen or read about this PS technique - made a big difference with minimal work
    will remember it for future problematic HL's