Thread: Shorebird

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Shorebird

Name:  Pelican.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  240.2 KB

I am finding myself incapable of resizing images correctly; I post regularly on Flickr and Photo.net without any problems, but they do not have strict rules regarding size and resolution. I hope that with the help of the many books I buy, and youtube I will get it sorted out soon. OK, I have previewed this image and it appears in the post so maybe I've nailed it.

The brown pelican is a charming funny bird that graces our southern coast lines, and is very happy to have his portrait taken, particularly around fishermen.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gillie,

Great timing on the shot, I'm glad to be able to see the head, feet, and detail in both wings. That is rare to get in a flight shot. I like the background, blurred but still has a little bit of cloud/sky detail. And the bird looks very sharp!

The only thing I feel is missing is something for him to land on. I understand that may not be possible due to the circumstances, but it would add another element to the picture.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gillie,

I really like the pose and BG here. Composition and sharpness are great. I'm not sure how to describe what is bothering me here. I get the feeling the colors are muted -- possibly needs a boost in saturation?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Stephen, and Ian. Sadly the dock upon which he was landing added nothing to the picture, other than the comedic value of another pelican ducking! I'm not sure about the saturation; I will play with it and see. Gillie.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like this picture and the way it was shot. Perhaps an increase in saturation is not needed but an increase in vibrance. But I still love the shot.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Gille - Yes these guys love hanging around a dock near the fishermen. Excellent and interesting pose right before landing. To me, it appears it might need a slight boost in contrast, or perhaps the clarity slider. It seems it should be a bit darker underneath, if the sun were coming from above. Did you apply "fill light" in ACR? Good shot!
    Regards,
    Kevin

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kevin; you are quite right. The original picture that I had posted elsewhere had much more contrast, but for some reason I did lighten the bird a little in this version, which has flattened the image somewhat. Gillie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The pose is perfect but I think I would have left some more space on both sides of the bird during cropping. As said it looks a bit flat or that the bird may be a touch underexposed. A bit of fill flash would have been perfect here I think.