Thread: Monitor for editing?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Monitor for editing?

Hello guys and gals!
    It's been some time since I want to buy a new monitor for my editing, I use a PC so have been dreaming about a NEC but not sure yet, I would like to get something ''24 and up til ''27.

Any suggestiong. I would have to buy it in the US since they don't sell good ones in CR.

Thanks for your help.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hola, Juan Carlos. I'll be honest -- I think buying a big expensive monitor is a bit overrated and not where those of who are budget-conscious might best spend our money. I use a 22" AOC I bought through my computer guy downtown here in Zarcero for like 100,000, and it works great. I've calibrated it and used it to send files to magazines, for my gallery exhibit in the US, and to prep the print file for WPOTY last year -- all happy clients. That's not to say that I wouldn't love to have a bigger more expensive monitor, but I don't consider it a priority for my photo expenses. Hope this angle is helpful to you.

Saludos!
    Greg

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I use an HP 30 inch monitor and would never go back to a smaller monitor.
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Juan

Some info that may help:

http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/...n_LCD_monitor/

http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/....your.monitor/

(also this thread will be moved to digital workflow forum.)

Roger

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Roger,

Why move the thread? This is hardware we are talking about, not p[rocessing techniques or workflow.

Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi jim,,,,,,I agree .nothing like a nice big screen,,may i ask what H.P monitor you use ? thankyou,,, p.s- loved your bump A.F article ,,

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Neiger View Post
    Roger,

Why move the thread? This is hardware we are talking about, not p[rocessing techniques or workflow.
    Jim,
    See the definitions of each forum. Computers and monitors are post processing, not camera gear.
    Forums: Photography Gear

For the discussion and review of all types of equipment used in the photographic process including, cameras, lenses, tripods, and other specialized accessories used in creating an image.

Forums: Digital Photography Workflow

For discussing the digital photography workflow. The digital workflow begins at shutter release and continues through to the optimized image or the final print. This includes computers, software, techniques and all post shutter processes.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I now have the 30" NEC Multi Synch PA 301w after someone suggested that my previous monitor was %$#@...boy were they correct....Oh what a difference and built in calibration is real nice....

Understand the budget issues, but the workspace I have also dictated a wall mount....and my eyes are really, really, really old so I needed to cheat.

9. Thanks brian simpson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

24" is too small. You need to go either 27" or 30".

I also have HP 30" (ZR30W). It's quite good but HP support is non-existent if you run into issues. The NEC/EIZO monitors are better but they cost twice as much.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

11. Thanks brian simpson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brian simpson View Post
    Hi jim,,,,,,I agree .nothing like a nice big screen,,may i ask what H.P monitor you use ? thankyou,,, p.s- loved your bump A.F article ,,
    HP LP3065. I'm not married to this particular monitor, just to 30 inch monitors in general. I could probably live with a 27 inch.

13. Thanks brian simpson thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have only had time to scan Roger's two links, so am probably repeating him here, but for anyone who didn't dig into them, I'll toss in 5c or so. There are new "wide-gamut" monitors that are Adobe RGB gamut, and pricey. Older and less-costly models are sRGB gamut. Unless you are into very high-end printing, or working in ProPhoto RGB, an sRGB is an excellent choice. Wide-gamut monitors will give color inaccuracies in web browsers that have images that are not tagged with their color profiles, and if you are using that kid of monitor it is important to use Firefox with full color management set (it isn't by default). Be cautious of the so-called LED-backlit monitors. They are very high contrast and are consumer level -- not meant for serious digital darkroom work.

The most important thing to look for in a monitor is how much does the lightness/darkness of the image change if you tilt it up or down slightly. Find one that doesn't change noticeably. It is very difficult to set the optimal viewing angle (should be 90 degrees) and to keep it there. The next thing is to calibrate and profile and work in a reasonably low-light environment if at all possible. These things are important to the accuracy of your images for output to the rest of the world, through the web or printing. You want the monitor to accurately reflect what is actually in the digital file.

Shutterbug Magazine columnist David Brooks has some good information on affordable monitors on his blog. Don't know if I can link it here, but Googling David Brooks Photography should turn it up.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I just got a Dell 24" (2412M) a couple weeks and love it. Only had a laptop prior so big difference. IMO, I would NOT get a 27" monitor, I believe everyone out there is 16x9 ratio which does not give you much over 24" in vertical space. As some have said , 30" would be great, but the price goes up substantially. By the way, B&H sells the 2412M for under $300. This is the best bang for the buck on the market, I researched for many months. Also, keep in mind, if you're committed to 30", and perfectionist color, plan on getting a calibrator too, just another cost ( I did not) My 2 cents. Good luck.

16. Thanks Juan Carlos Vindas thanked for this post
    Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Miller View Post
    ..., and if you are using that kid of monitor it is important to use Firefox with full color management set (it isn't by default). Be cautious of the so-called LED-backlit monitors. They are very high contrast and are consumer level -- not meant for serious digital darkroom work.
    Hi Diane,
    These days most browsers are color managed, and come that way when installed (not sure about firefox being the default, but I would bet it is--2+ years ago it was not the default.) I disagree about LED backlit. It is not the light source that is the factor you describe below, but the LCD type. An LED backlit TN panel will have the same contrast/color change issues with angle of view as a fluorescent backlit monitor. Conversly, an LED backlit IPS panel will be spectacular. I have seen some excellent LED backlit displays.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Miller View Post
    The most important thing to look for in a monitor is how much does the lightness/darkness of the image change if you tilt it up or down slightly. Find one that doesn't change noticeably. It is very difficult to set the optimal viewing angle (should be 90 degrees) and to keep it there.
    Yes, I agree here. If the contrast/color changes a lot as you move up and down, it is a cheap TN-type panel, regardless of the backlit light source.

There are some new technologies coming out to look at. The Apple retina display would be great in a 30-inch monitor. Sharp just announced a new technology that ups the resolution over the retina, using indium gallium zinc oxide, while reducing power. They say they will introduce a 31.5-inch monitor with 8-megapixel resolution (3,840 pixels by 2,160 pixels) in the 4th quarter (current 30-inch monitors are 4-megapixels). The new technology was demonstrated at 498 pixels/inch, so in a 30 inch monitor would be around a 100 megapixel display!

Roger

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Folks,
    nice discussion going on here.
    Just want to throw a question in the ring.We all spent thousands of US dollars or in my case EUROS for equipment to take the image, and pay thousands for ADOBE PS, and then some of you want to save money on the screen , where you watch your good work.

Sorry , this is not fitting together for me.

From my point , the only acceptable brands for serious image editing and trustful colors are the hardware calibrated screens by QUATO ; EIZO or NEC.

I own a 27 inch Quato intelli proof 270 excellence for main editing in PS , and 24inch EIZO CG 241 wide for the other stuff. Used the EIZO as editing screen before i bought the QUATO.
    All screens cost a lot of money, but worth every penny, once you are used to work with them, you will not want to go back !!!!!!
    The same with the new MACBOOK PRO retina, there is no way back, once you , or better your eyes are used to the quality of that screen.

Just think about it.

Cheers Andreas

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    From my point , the only acceptable brands for serious image editing and trustful colors are the hardware calibrated screens by QUATO ; EIZO or NEC.
    Andreas,
    Why do you restrict to only these three vendors? Other vendors make excellent IPS LCD monitors. I do agree about calibration, but I wonder about how accurate the calibrators are! A simple 3-color calibrator needs ideal visual spectral response and that is probably impossible to do in the simple devices being sold at prices consumers and professional photographers can afford. One could then argue that the only precise calibration is with a NIST-tracable spectrophotometer (or whatever NIST equivalent exists in a user's country). And calibration with flourescent lit LCD (with all the emission lines) becomes interpretive science on how that translates to perceived color. Broader spectral bandpass LED backlit is better in my opinion. At present, I've seen no 30-inch LED backlit displays.

Roger

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Clark View Post
    Andreas,
    Why do you restrict to only these three vendors? Other vendors make excellent IPS LCD monitors. I do agree about calibration, but I wonder about how accurate the calibrators are! A simple 3-color calibrator needs ideal visual spectral response and that is probably impossible to do in the simple devices being sold at prices consumers and professional photographers can afford. One could then argue that the only precise calibration is with a NIST-tracable spectrophotometer (or whatever NIST equivalent exists in a user's country). And calibration with flourescent lit LCD (with all the emission lines) becomes interpretive science on how that translates to perceived color. Broader spectral bandpass LED backlit is better in my opinion. At present, I've seen no 30-inch LED backlit displays.

Roger
    Dear Roger,
    it is like in normal life, all of us prefer some brands for different reasons. I was talking about screens i personally have seen in action or worked with.
    I do not have the meaning about this, that i am totally correct about the brands i support or prefer.But i cannot talk about a product that i have not seen or worked with, that was the reason for naming the brands.Over the years i have worked with 2 of them personally, and seen the other one in action at my friends place.

In the end it is all personal preference, like the camera model or even the camera brand , is it ???!!!
    My suggestions have been only , to give an advice to think about.

Regards Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Basco View Post
    Hola, Juan Carlos. I'll be honest -- I think buying a big expensive monitor is a bit overrated and not where those of who are budget-conscious might best spend our money. I use a 22" AOC I bought through my computer guy downtown here in Zarcero for like 100,000, and it works great. I've calibrated it and used it to send files to magazines, for my gallery exhibit in the US, and to prep the print file for WPOTY last year -- all happy clients. That's not to say that I wouldn't love to have a bigger more expensive monitor, but I don't consider it a priority for my photo expenses. Hope this angle is helpful to you.

Saludos!
    Greg
    Muchas gracias Greg!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Clark View Post
    Jim,
    See the definitions of each forum. Computers and monitors are post processing, not camera gear.
    Forums: Photography Gear

For the discussion and review of all types of equipment used in the photographic process including, cameras, lenses, tripods, and other specialized accessories used in creating an image.

Forums: Digital Photography Workflow

For discussing the digital photography workflow. The digital workflow begins at shutter release and continues through to the optimized image or the final print. This includes computers, software, techniques and all post shutter processes.
    Thanks for helping me understand the differences here Roger!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks a ton Diane, I will definitively will check there!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks so much Andreas for your valuable input. Definitively, something to think about.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Reading this is great and opens many feelings and wishes. I will keep you all posted on what I decide at the end, hopefully it will be something good and not pricy!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Suerte, Juan Carlos!

Cheers,
    Greg

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

Looks like I am a little late to the party but I will toss my two cents in.

I run a duel monitor set up with one Dell (yes Dell) U2410 which is an IPS screen with a wide gamut and one NEC PA 231w which is also an IPS wide gamut. I keep them both calibrated and they match to a T. I do wish that I had purchased two of the NEC monitors as they run a little cooler.

Price wise they where about the same. And while it is true you get what you pay for dollar for dollar these two monitors are as good as most anything out there.
    I am coming from a duel monitor set up that ran 24 inch CRT Lacie Electron Blue monitors. You know that my desk was a lot happier when those monsters went away.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all so much for this informative thread. Has really helped me make an informative choice. Have now just ordered an Eizo color edge 24 inch ... Can't wait till its delivered

29. Thanks Juan Carlos Vindas thanked for this post