Thread: Caspian Tern

Richard Mc Donald

Default Caspian Tern

t's taken me quite some time to get a decent shot of these Terns, the focusing on the new camera really helped.

Name:  ct.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  208.0 KB

1DX - 800L f/5.6 - ISO400 - 1/2000 - f/5.6

Initial conversion in DPP then some sharpening and PPing in ARC, 50% crop then resized.

Richard

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Richard,

Nice field technique being patient and working the scene - well done. As a result, you have one beautiful picture,..this is a gem. Good detail for a 50% crop and nice kit. The background is really nice, often people forget how critical it is to support the subject and balance the frame. The opportunity is probably the eye, it looks a bit drab work it some for example, lighten that area or consider adding a catch-light. Take a look at the upper right hand corner as well,...the exposed sky creates a triangle that might pull the eye some, lets see what others say. On balance this is a nice picture, I like the way the bird flows in the frame and really like the way you worked and found the best moment to show the beauty of this bird in flight,..keep em coming.
    Last edited by Jeff Cashdollar; 09-05-2012 at 08:02 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Richard- Beautifully done Richard. Great wing position and background. I wish the right wing tip were a little more visible- it almost disappears into the background. To hang on the wall I may cover up the little bit of blue top right with green from the BG.

By the way this is not a Caspian Tern. They are big, brutish terns with thick red bills and black caps. I am a bit puzzled by the ID. The black patch behind the eye is characteristic of a Forster's Tern but they have pinkish/reddish legs and feet at all ages. The other possibility is a Gull-billed Tern, which has a stout bill like your bird and black legs, but the patch behind the eye is usually not as big. I'll ask Paul Guris to chime in.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice shot Richard. I agree with Jeff about the bit of sky in the upper right corner, maybe crop or clone that out. Other than that I see nothing that I would change.

David

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John sent me a PM and asked me for an opinion (FWIW). I'm at work without references so this is just off the top of my head.

This bird looks like a basic plumage adult Gull-billed Tern to me. That species and Forster's are the only two I can think of that have the "eye pit" look rather than having some amount of black across the nape. Other marks in favor of Gull-billed are

• Very thick black bill
    • Broad wings.
    • Black legs. I don't think that Forster's shows completely black legs in any plumage.
    • Short outer tail feathers. Forster's should show very long outermost tail feathers even the next set in should be a little longer. Since you can count 11 of the expected 12 tail feathers (with one rather than two showing dead center), you know there are no outer ones missing. And since they're older and worn, they aren't short because they're new ones growing in. So that means shortish outer tail feathers, and that's bad for Forster's.

Richard, I too like the shot. I might try to lighten up the shadowed parts of the underwing just a bit since it looks like you have nice details there, but that's really a nit. All in all it looks like you nailed it at just the right moment.

Richard Mc Donald

Possibly a Whiskered Tern?

Richard

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Richard, I have a few questions on the possibility of Whiskered Tern (which I've seen a few times, but long ago and never in full basic). First, where was the picture taken? Second, do you have anything showing the nape better? And third, do you have anything showing comparative size? I don't find New World tern ID to be the easiest thing for me, but I'm way out of my depth with Old World terns.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I've copied thread to About Birds forum so that the ID can be discussed more fully without detracting from the critique. Moved to:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...pied-from-ETL)