Thread: Hummingbird Tongue

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hummingbird Tongue

Attached Images Attached Images

Caught this little hummingbird on my rear deck this morning sticking her tongue out at me.

Panasonic GH2; Lumix G Vario 100-300mm
    300mm, F5.6, 1/400, ISO 500
    LR4: reduce highlights & Mild Sharpening

...Jerry

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I hate it when my subjects make fun of me like that!

I really like it!

Nice sharp image, Jerry, and well composed, although it possibly could use a tiny bit more real estate in front of the bird. There is an oblique line just under the branch on the viewer's right - possibly a spider web - that you might consider cloning out. There also seems to be a little color fringing on the top end of the branch. You might also consider some NR on the background.

I'm very impressed with that Micro 4/3. Good job!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ian,

First, let me say you have an amazing set of eyes. Second, you've made some great suggestions. Third, I'm reaching my limit of LR4 / Photoshop skills. But all this stuff is why I'm "Eager to Learn" Thanks so much!

How 'bout this?

...Jerry

Name:  7929864956_2d6dd96356_c.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  188.8 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I do prefer the re-post.

I know the feeling. My Photoshop/Lightroom skills are pretty weak. I keep telling myself I need to spend less time shooting and some more time studying, but haven't been able to bring myself to that! I hate sitting in front of the computer when I could be outdoors (I rarely watch TV for that reason).

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jerry, I love your capture and I love Ian's suggestions! This is what the forum is about - sharing our thoughts on the images that are posted. I encourage you to continue to make comments on the postings here, as it helps us all to get different perspectives. Digital photography has changed the game, and we now need to be as skilled in the processing as we are in the capturing. There is a wealth of information on this site to help you with your skills in that area, hope you take a look around.
    "It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera... they are made with the eye, heart, and head." - Henri Cartier Bresson

Please visit me on the web at http://kerryperkinsphotography.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jerry...very nice capture.You have good sharpness and the bg and perch are outstanding! You might consider cloning out the white blip near the eye as it is a distraction

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Bob, Yeah, when I saw that I didn't like it either and considered removing it, but when I zoomed in on the original image, it was an actual part of the bird's feathering. I don't see an issue with removing the spider web and the image is much better without the "white blip". Is this something that's commonly done? Remember, I'm a Newbie and "Eager to Learn"

...Jerry