Thread: Mirror, Mirror, on the water....

Patrick van der Putten

Default Mirror, Mirror, on the water....

Attached Images Attached Images

Any comments are welcome!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image. Looks just a tad from here. Love all the reflections. Woudl have like the next frame or so with the greenest stuff in the upper right of the frame to better balance the composition. For next time, try picking the left most center and placing the bird almost right against the frame-edge. This would include even more of the wake: the bird forward/wake composition.

lal, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Fabs Forns

Got to love that water!!!!

The light is also superb, thanks for sharing this and big welcome to BPN :)

Looking forward for more of this beautiful species.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very nice image. I would take some off of the top and right.

Judd Patterson

Beautiful bird and some lovely reflections. I think Artie was saying things were a tad dark here, but he kind of left us hanging. ;) While the mirrored reflection image is a stunner, you might also want to try an eye level shot if you have repeated opportunities to see this bird. Getting right along the waters edge on your belly can create some intriguing angles! Love your work and I'm sure I'll see more.

Jody Melanson

Wonderful reflection and the water itself is awesome! I would place the bird further right in the frame as it is too centered IMHO.

Welcome to BPN and I look forward to more posts from you.

JH Tugs

Reading the feedback above, it seems there's a tough decision to make when composing (or cropping) this image - to decide between having the bird more to the left and showing more of the wake (as Artie suggests), or moving it to the right to (in my mind) give the bird somewhere to swim into, as it were. Difficult choices.

Interestingly (for me) having tried a couple of crops (shading it with paper on my screen!), I have found myself siding with Artie's idea of moving the bird to the left - against my own expectations which would have normally had me pushing it to the right. Fascinating (and a lovely crisp shot of the bird and its reflection!).

Patrick van der Putten

Hello !

Thank you very much for all your comments. Its always helpfull when photographers, who share the same passion, give hints to improve.

The picture was taken in the early morning at a National Park called "Oostvaarderplassen" in the Netherlands. Sadly one chance only, but I have made several pictures of this Great Crested Grebe and it gave me great pleasure to see the outcome.

Again thanks for your comments!