Thread: Samsung Syncmaster SA550 27" LED and Spyder4 Pro Problem

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Samsung Syncmaster SA550 27" LED and Spyder4 Pro Problem

Hi guys!

I am going crazy here!!!

I purchased an expensive Samsng Syncmaster SA550 27" LED and got the new Spyder4 Pro to calibrate the monitor... so far so good...

I calibrated the monitor with the suggested spyder settings at 6500K and 200 brightness... but at the end when the spyder indicates that the monitor's colour is only 90% of the RGB colourspace in comparison!!!

Where I really go mad is that if I convert an image in CS5 to sRGB for the web and view it on my monitor now, it looks fine and as processed in CS5, but the moment I upload it to the web the colors are clearly of with an almost yellow color cast!!!! All my other images which I uploaded to the web before (using another samsung LCD monitor and spyder3 pro) still looks great, but my new images are $%*^ to say the least!!

Is the monitor, the spyder4, or me? I am really going mad this side and any help will be appreciated!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Eish guys! I really need some help... my wife might report me for malicious damage to property if this continues!

Just an update... I used both an analog and a digital (hdmi) connection (and drivers) to the monitor from the computer, but no success!

What is really bothering me is that all images, new and old, looks 100% in CS5, LR4 and if I open it with windows picture viewer. BUT... in changing the color profile in CS5 the "bad" color will show for a split second (whilst the color profile changes to sRGB) and then the image will once again look 100% in CS5... but upload it to the web.... Aghhhhhh!!!!!!

CS5,LR4,the spyder4 pro, windows 7 x64,graphics card (Nvidia Geforce GTS 450) and monitor firmware all up to date...

Here is one of those images with the yellowish color cast noticeable in the foreground... NB, this is not what the image looks like in CS5!!!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Have you tried recalibrating in a darkened room and allowing extra warm up time before calibration?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

HeY Rudi,
    sorry to hear of your problems.
    Is the screen hard or software calibrated ?
    Which software do you use ?
    I would try to not use the spider software, had problems with the software some time ago.If Samsung has it`s own, try that one.
    Just thoughts.
    Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rudi,
    just tried to find out about your screen.
    I know it is easy to say from here, get a new one. But this screen is not really build for image editing , what i found out.
    If you have the chance and money, go and get a decent screen for your or our purposes.
    For me the screens to go for are from EIZO, QUATO or NEC.

The ones for editing videos or images , are able to be hardware calibrated. No wanging sliders or other stuff to do, just enter the desired settings into the software and it is all done automatically.

As said above , easy to say from here, but it is really worth it, to save money if you do a lot of image editing.And if i remember your images i would even more thinking it is the way to go.
    Just think about, and do yourself a favor.

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas, I am using the new spyder4. Just bought CS6 as well, so both lightroom and CS6 on same Camera Raw 7.1...

The problem persists if I use my old monitor and old spyder3 as well...

I am really with my hands in my hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think drop a line to Steve, i am long away from windows, maybe he can help you.

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What steps are you using for changing the color profile to sRGB?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

in C6 Covert Profile>sRGB (or whatever that long description of it is ...

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rudi I'm Mac based and use Gretag Macbeth Eye One, however the monitors I have, have their own built in soft are for profiling and is set to calibrate every 30 days or x hours which ever comes first.

What is really bothering me is that all images, new and old, looks 100% in CS5, LR4 and if I open it with windows picture viewer. BUT... in changing the color profile in CS5 the "bad" color will show for a split second (whilst the color profile changes to sRGB) and then the image will once again look 100% in CS5... but upload it to the web.... Aghhhhhh!!!!!!
    Whip an image oer to me Rudi, one an RGB, the other sRGB

Also can you send me your settings for calibration ie 6500k...

A screen grab of Colour settings under Edit in PS are you using LR, if so ProPhoto? Not saying this will help just want to see things. Just having a call with another member to discuss workflow, colour and PP, so will comeback later subject to you email.

cheers
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve... Will revert...

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rudi,

What you describe seems to be a common problem with windows. (Sorry for not responding sooner, I have been on travel.) I had this problem too and could never solve it. I believe the issue may have been a conflict between the video card, device drivers, the spyder software and application software. Only one should be controlling the color. From my experience, I wrote a web page:
    http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/....your.monitor/

The only solution I ultimately found was to move to linux. (There is a lot on the above page even if you are not running linux, including settings in photoshop.)

Regarding your monitor, here is an article on choosing monitors:
    http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/...n_LCD_monitor/

If you find a solution in windows, I would be really glad to hear what you did.

Roger

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Eish, Roger... That is not what I was looking for... It really wasn't, but thanks for the feedback... at least you gave me something to work with...

Anyway, here are my LR and CS6 color settings... The monitor is apparently a normal gamut LED settings included....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers Rudi, just wondered if there was something untoward in any of them, all look good, but Roger has a far better handle on this stuff and would work around his thoughts.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rudi,

I notice two things:

The blend text colors using gamma 1.45. I suggest unchecking that box.

Settings: "Rudi's color profile" this might be one problem, as it might be applying a color profile, but so is the spyder software. I have my CS5 set to "North America General Purpose 2"

Roger

Threads
    Thank You Posts

North America General Purpose 2
    Roger, is that not the default setting, where the Working space is sRGB, not RGB?

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

North America General Purpose 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Roger, is that not the default setting, where the Working space is sRGB, not RGB?
    Yes, North America General Purpose 2 is the default, but I don't think it is for just sRGB.

A google search for:
    photoshop why "north america general purpose 2"

turns up many interesting sites. Rudi, one of these might help with your problem. But I did detect some sites recommending a setup one way, and some a different way.

Roger

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I was incorrect above about North America General Purpose 2 being general. I have my working space in sRGB (though work all my images in Adobe RGB). If I change working space to Adobe RGB, the color setting changes from North America General Purpose 2 to Custom. And So it does appear that North America General Purpose 2 is only for sRGB. I've seen web sites say to use North America Prepress 2 with Adobe RGB, but state that this is a mode optimized for prints. I have not experimented with North America Prepress 2. I have been happy with prints using North America General Purpose 2. I generally work in Adobe RGB then apply an ICC profile for a specific printer/paper combination (I generally do lightjet prints on Fuji Crystal Archive paper).

Roger

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for all the help guys! Really appreciate it! Got the monitor sorted and everything seems to pass your "test" Roger... that article certainly helped me a lot... Looks like my main problem was with Chrome as a browser... Suppose it is not the display of an NEC or something similar, but fine for my purposes now! Thanks once again for all the help!