Thread: Junvenile Black Crowned Night Heron

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Junvenile Black Crowned Night Heron

Attached Images Attached Images

My first post here was for uniqueness of image (the "Osprey Chicks" post). This image was captured about 3 weeks ago and (imho) is a pretty fair quality image for an inexpensive camera/lens. Whadaya think?

Bombay Hook NWR, Smyrna, Delaware, USA on August 5th, 2012
    Panasonic GH2; Lumix G Vario 100-300mm @ 223mm (2.0 crop factor -> 446mm equivalent)
    ISO 400, 1/160, F8.0 (stabilized on a bean bag)
    Some enhancement in LR4, Warmed the White Balance & slight Vignetting

...Jerry
    Last edited by Jerry amEnde; 08-27-2012 at 06:02 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jerry! After a recent backpacking trip with my 7D and some lenses, I've been considering investing in a micro 4/3. This image may have convinced me! Sharp and nice composition. Great job!

BTW, I worked in Wilmington for several years.

3. Thanks Jerry amEnde thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the quality of light in this photo. I agree with the nice sharpness and composition.

5. Thanks Jerry amEnde thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jerry, I have to agree wholeheartedly! Better than fair, I think this is a wonderful image. Could be the poster shot for "soft, even light". The quality and quantity of the sunlight is superb. Great sharpness from the little camera - the wing patterns and detail are wonderful in this shot. I have been thinking a lot about the mirrorless cameras lately and this image is really a compelling advertisement for them. My only suggestion is to move the bird over to the right in the frame. While the perch leaving the frame in the LRC is a nice compositional element, I think the bird is too close to the left of frame. Warming up the color temp really made this image look nice. Well done! Looking forward to more.
    "It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera... they are made with the eye, heart, and head." - Henri Cartier Bresson

Please visit me on the web at http://kerryperkinsphotography.com

7. Thanks Jerry amEnde thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all for the nice compliments. As you can tell from my initial post, I was quite pleased with the quality of this image. @Kerry, good upgrade - moving the heron right in the frame would make a definite improvement.

A couple comments about micro four thirds. I came from the world of video, and after a 35 year absence from still photography, this past May I bought myself a Panasonic GH2 because it received very good video reviews and, of course, is primarily still camera.

I love the GH2 & micro four thirds for its portability and better-than-expected imaging capability. The 2.0 crop factor stretches my Lumix G Vario 100-300mm out to 600mm equivalent. This little guy zoomed to 100mm hangs around my neck almost like a DSLR with kit lens.

Now, a couple of the limitations. The Panasonic 100-300mm is pretty much "it" for long telephotos with autofocus & stabilization. There's an Olympus 70-300mm, but that requires an Olympus camera for (camera body) stabilization. I'd really love to see someone come out with a fixed 400mm F4.0 or F2.8. Also, bird-in-flight captures can be a challenge as the focus is not that speedy. I've developed a technique where I pre-focus to capture the bird, but usually that requires many captures and lots of luck to get one good one.

@ian: Great minds must think alike. I just bought an 7D body with hopes of getting 400mm+ lens for bird-in-flight shots. The lens purchase may have to wait for my retiree's budget. However, imo, the combo of 7D / micro four thirds make a great pair.

...Jerry

PS to Ian: If you make it back to the Philly / Wilmington area, send me a PM.
    Last edited by Jerry amEnde; 08-28-2012 at 04:40 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It sure is a nice image! Congratulations Jerry. Love the light! Nice pose and perfect head angle with a great little catchlight in the eye. I agree with Kerry on the composition. Do you have some room to add to the left? I think the new cameras coming out are going to change the way we do things and I'm looking forward to trying one out.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Okie doak, moved the bird right. To my eyes it looked best with the head centered in the frame. Comments?

...Jerry

PS: Noticed there are a few areas of crushed blacks, but they are predominantly in areas where I don't want detail anyway, so I think I'll just leave it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jerry, I think I prefer the composition of the original post, but I actually like them both.

Is the focus on that lens all that slow? Have you tried any birds-in-flight?

Also, I understand there are no micro 4/3 teleconverters yet and no long primes or fast long-lens options. I haven't really been following the rumor mill. Is there talk of change in that regard?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Cassell View Post
    Jerry, I think I prefer the composition of the original post, but I actually like them both.

Is the focus on that lens all that slow? Have you tried any birds-in-flight?

Also, I understand there are no micro 4/3 teleconverters yet and no long primes or fast long-lens options. I haven't really been following the rumor mill. Is there talk of change in that regard?
    Last question first. Correct, no teleconverters and no long primes. In the forums I frequent, I've seen this on several folks wish lists, but haven't heard any credible rumors. I'd love to see a long prime, but the teleconverter is lower on my list as the Panny GH2 already has a 2.0 crop factor.

I've been very unsuccessful in using autofocus for birds-in-flight (although there is a continuous focus feature). The only technique I've had success with is to pre-focus to a point and wait for a bird to cross the path. Works okay at Bombay Hook NWR where the Egrets & Herons swarm, but I have dreams of capturing the (solitary) Bald Eagles.

Name:  EgretsChaos-10x2.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  154.2 KB

...Jerry

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Prefer the repost. Very nice Jerry.