Thread: Image Resizing Problems in DPP.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Image Resizing Problems in DPP.

At present I use Canon's DPP software to process my images and I'm having trouble resizing them to post directly from my laptop (Mac) to BPN. After processing the RAW image I convert and save to the correct posting size of 1024x800pixels, but when I try to upload that image I'm told the file size (KB) is too large, almost double the few times I've tried.

This is the last message which popped up when trying to upload:
    "IMG_1844b.JPG: Your file of 539.0 KB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 256.1 KB for this filetype."

I checked out the posting and resizing threads but they didn't refer to DPP. Hoping someone can shed some light on this for me and I'll apologise for the noobish question in advance. Thanks very much,

Dave J.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

There are 2 sizes involved for jpegs. One is the pixel dimensions which will determine how large the image appears on a monitor. The other is the number of bytes taken up by the jpeg file on your disk. It is the latter that is causing you problems. The jpeg format uses data compression to reduce the size of the file in bytes. You can have 2 files with the same pixel dimensions but they can vary greatly in size depending on the level of data compression that has been applied. The amount of compression is usually controlled by a "quality" setting when generating the jpeg. In the case of DPP, it is controlled by the "Image quality" slider in the "Convert and save" dialog box. Unfortunately, DPP does not seem to give you an estimate of the file size for a given quality setting, so it looks like you will have to get down to the required file size (i.e. 250KB or less) by using trial and error. Just keep reducing the "Image quality" until you get the file size that you need.

3. Thanks Dave Johnson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Brilliant, thanks for that Mike, I'll give it a bash.