Thread: Gannet - Bonaventure Island

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Gannet - Bonaventure Island

Attached Images Attached Images

Canada Trip with John Chardine (foggy day)
    Gannet in the colony
    Canon MKIV+70-200 2.8
    ISO=400
    f/3.2
    1/1000
    HH

Added curves, levels and selective color - the foggy day took some of the punch out of the images.

Just returned from the island and wanted to at least post a picture this weekend. More to come had a grand time with BIF. There are over 50,000 pairs in this colony it is fantastic.
    Last edited by Jeff Cashdollar; 08-12-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Getting this close at 200mm... I still can't believe this place is within my own province and that I have never visited it. On the "todo list" for next year.

Maybe a bit more contrast or saturation would give more punch to the image? Or maybe a minor reduction of the brightness? The bright whites in the low-left part of the image tend to grab my attention more than the head of the bird.

I like the background. I'm being told that getting a "gannet-free" background is quite a challenge there.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jeff, I trust you and John are having a great time and I can see that you are getting great images! I wanted to reply to this thread this morning, but I was at work and my cheapo crummy monitor didn't do the image justice. I really like your thinking with the framing of the gannet, the close intimate portrait really works well. Beautiful colors and detail, what more can I say? Super composition, that's what. I love the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens, I have the original version and it is a great lens. Looking forward to more gannets!
    "It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera... they are made with the eye, heart, and head." - Henri Cartier Bresson

Please visit me on the web at http://kerryperkinsphotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This tight portrait works well, Jeff. Colors look good to me.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook