Thread: "Ethical" Image

Ken Watkins

Default "Ethical" Image

Attached Images Attached Images

Very early in the morning we came across a pride of Lion 3 females and 5 cubs, two very young. We followed them around for an hour or so, then the females decided to set up an ambush at the edge of the marshy surrounds of the lake. As soon as we saw a herd of Gnu come down we backed off and hid under a tree around 100 metres away. Gnu are considered stupid but are clever enough to know a parked up vehicle is not something to approach.

Eventually the Gnu got close enough to the Lions and mayhem ensued, I was forced to take this and other shots from a long way away from a moving vehicle. The question is should we have stayed close and probably deprived the Lions of a kill but may have got a better image?

For me the fact that the Lionesses and their five cubs got a good meal is far more important.

Taken in Selous Game Reserve, Tanzania, 7th July 2012.

EOS 1D MkIV

500mm F4 hand-held

F5.6, ISO 800, 1/6400

2. Thanks Grady Weed thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think you did the right thing. Eating is more important! Now for the image; the action is superb. I really like the action of the lioness on the left side and the Gnu on the right side is well defined, love the muscled running turning look.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with Grady re. the ethics question. I like the balance of this image — a lioness & gnu on the right & a lioness & 2 gnus on the left. I also like the story told by the action. Great capture of a great scene.

One question: Did the attacked gnu escape?
    Andrew

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ken,

It sounds like you would not have gotten this action shot if you had stayed with the lions and the lions would not have gotten a meal. This is a win-win in my opinion. Very nice action in a very scenic location. What luck that they were looking your way during this action.

Ken Watkins

Thanks everybody for your comments, I am pleased that I may have influenced some people not to interfere with predators hunting, but I think that may be wishful thinking.

Andrew,

The Gnu did not get away, the captor dispatched it quite quickly by strangulation around 3/4 minutes. She was the Mum of the two very young cubs, and after getting her breath back immediately went off to fetch them from their hiding place, wonderful thing nature

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

For me, this is excellent story telling. A close up, whilst interesting is just another closeup of predator and prey whereas this shows the environment, numbers of animals and with the small palms we can almost sense the ambush even if the lions didn't use those particular ones. I wonder how much of a crop from the left and right? I agree totally with your decision to back off, well done and it paid off.

Ken Watkins

Hilary,
    Thanks for your comment which is appreciated.
    Regarding the crop there is nothing off the RHS from the left I have taken off quite a bit around 20%. To be totally technical the RAW was 4896 x 3264 the processed image from which this JPEG is derived us 4002 x 1452

9. Thanks Hilary Hann thanked for this post
    West Chester, PA, (summer), Florida (winter)
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi KenYou did the unselfish thing. On the other hand I have seen lions using vehicles as camouflage while stalking prey.RegardsAndre

Ken Watkins

Quote Originally Posted by Andre van As View Post
    . On the other hand I have seen lions using vehicles as camouflage while stalking prey
    Me too, but why not we are in their house

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Watkins View Post

The Gnu did not get away, the captor dispatched it quite quickly by strangulation around 3/4 minutes. She was the Mum of the two very young cubs, and after getting her breath back immediately went off to fetch them from their hiding place, wonderful thing nature
    Right on!
    Andrew

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting to me is the two different focuses of the participants in this photo. Lions on the victim, the other gnus, escape. I bet the one getting attacked is thinking, "How about a little help here?"

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great action shot. I like the panorama format.

Markus

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great action shot, you've got to sum up every situation at the time, and yes, you certainly did the right thing.