Thread: Opening EOS 1DX Raw files

Ken Watkins

Default Opening EOS 1DX Raw files

Good Morning.

Is there anything else other than the updated Canon DPP I can use to open these files for use in PS.

Any ideas welcome

Ken Watkins

Please ignore the above, just discovered an Adobe update and it was free, they must be slipping

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ken,

I haver been using LR4 with very good results. I am going to check out Capture One Pro as soon as I get home.

Chas

Ken Watkins

Chas,
    Thanks, what I really need now is for it to stop raining so I can get out and give it a try, so frustrating

I am also still waiting for my manual, but it is in the post.

Any tips on settings would be gratefully received

Cheers

Ken

PS Have you got the 500mm MkII it really does feel remarkably lighter

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Watkins View Post
    Chas,
    Thanks, what I really need now is for it to stop raining so I can get out and give it a try, so frustrating
    You know, the best shots are often made in "crappy" weather. In Germany we say something like "There is not bad weather, only bad clothing" :-)

Joking aside, you may get some really good shots in rain. Some mammals look great when wet. And the 1DX is waterproof and can get you great results even in low light.

Markus

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Jais View Post
    You know, the best shots are often made in "crappy" weather. In Germany we say something like "There is not bad weather, only bad clothing" :-)

Joking aside, you may get some really good shots in rain. Some mammals look great when wet. And the 1DX is waterproof and can get you great results even in low light.

Markus
    Markus,

I would say water resistant, not waterproof. Be careful!!! I have seen a number of 1D bodies ruined without using proper rain covers in downpours.
    Better safe, than sorry. Think Tank or Lens Coat is the way to go

Chas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Glatzer View Post
    Markus,

I would say water resistant, not waterproof. Be careful!!! I have seen a number of 1D bodies ruined without using proper rain covers in downpours.
    Better safe, than sorry. Think Tank or Lens Coat is the way to go

Chas
    Chas, you are right of course. I confused the words or translated the wrong German word in my head.
    I am always careful with my 7D. A few rain drops are no problem but I try to keep it dry whenever possible. I would do the same with a 1DX should I get one.

Markus

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ken I have used 1dx pretty heavily on recent 3 week my trip to Africa..guessing in excess of 5K shots in all kinds of conditions...

I saw where chas used case 4 on his bear trip...I stuck with case 5 that I used on the 5dIII....I can tell you very, very few culls due to focus issues.....be happy to share anything....lot of the settings came from past experience going through settings with Chas, Robert Otoole and Robert Amorouso on other cameras...I did some stuff setting ISO limitations but also experimented with some low, low light to see what I could get at higher ISOs....and for real, early and for real late experimented with some Auto ISO when the light was changing so much and I had to react fast.

Ken Watkins

Steve,

Despite having the camera and the new 500mm for a few weeks I have not really had the chance to use it yet due to work in UK and appalling weather conditions here in SA. I also did not get the manual until last week, at the moment I am still battling through the entirely different to the old one set ups, just wish the AF points would blink red and also why does the AF achieved light not come on when using A1 servo?

I even ventured out to a private game reserve, to discuss assisting them with fighting off a Wind Farm development, weather was good light not to bad and guess what nothing to take!

Tomorrow I am determined to get to my nearest National Park and get some shots, I'll try both 4 and 5 I had previously heard 3 was best

I think it would be very useful if we could all exchange our experiences.

Hopefully I will get some info shortly from a well known photographer who will be giving it a thorough shake down, in Africa.

Hope you had a good trip and have many fine images to share

Threads
    Thank You Posts

best of luck Ken. would love to share some experiences. Chas will be in Africa and that might be whom you are talking about...I mainly ported over knowledge from the 5dIII and was quite satisfied but may not be leveraging all the 1dx's capability....and even the AI servo question of priority comes into play with how fast the 1dx focuses. I usually did not set on the 5dIII obtain focus as the top priority...but the 1dx is so fast, I think I am going to change that.

If you are interested, I have started posting some of the images on http://uffmannatureimages.net/ which is a blog where my wife and I are giving the daily trip reports. Images there have had little post processing at all and are mainly being selected to tell the story.

Ken Watkins

Steve,

As it is on his blog I think it is not giving away any secrets to say the photographer in question is Andy Rouse, I'll be meeting up with him later in the year in Mozambique.
    I'll take a look at your blog tomorrow.

Cheers

Ken

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ken, Andy's review and Chas's thoughts helped push me over the edge to get the camera. Of course, I am at the point in life that if I did not get a pro body for Africa, some waterfowl opportunities and the polar bears, it really would not be worth it......

Mozambique-I have been there but not to take images of wildlife but more of the people in a small village and how they cope with life. Frankly, some of the best stuff I have ever done in that some schools in the US asked permission to use the photos in their studies. Are you going to do wildlife there?

Ken Watkins

Steve,

it is an all wildlife tour I am hoping for some Lemurs and a few birds, that is if my poor old back stands up to all of the walking