Thread: Caracal- a journey in processing

Threaded View

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Caracal- a journey in processing

Attached Images Attached Images

Message from Steve Kaluski, BPN Wildlife Moderator:

We often spend time in taking our images in whatever 'discipline' we enjoy, whether it be landscape, macro, wildlife… and therefore they become precious to us, however, although taking the image may be the hardest part, we also need to be aware that the world of Processing is just as key to the image/shot, as we want to showcase our images as best we can.

This thread hopefully illustrated with Gregor's permission, shows how an image progressed from the author being happy, to realising that there was a lot more potential within the original RAW file still to be extracted. It also illustrates how, from the same image we interpret and see things differently. Gregor, by his own admission feels he is still in the early stages of Post Production and therefore we all have taken that into account. The steps taken were not elaborate, however it's the initial basics that can often determine the fate of the image, and Morkel has kindly added some basic steps taken, to achieve his interpretation.

I hope this thread is helpful to those who view it, but please, read through the replies to fully understand how the image evolved and that this is not always the way threads move in the Wildlife Forum.

Steve

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Original post:

This is from an early morning in Masai Mara last november. This is almost a repost (I hope it is ok) of an earlier picture I posted some time ago. I think the posé of this is better than my other post from this encounter. There is some lilac cast on some earth/mud (i think it is). It´s there and personally I think it adds a painting feeling to it, and like it. I have this on my wall at home. As always I could have traded some ss for DOF...

Cropped, levels adjusted, eyes selective lightened, and quite much noise reduction and sharpness added.

Nikon D3, 600mm, 1/1000s, f/4, iso 3200

Attachment 116296
    Last edited by John Chardine; 08-04-2012 at 07:23 AM.