Thread: Sharpening Finesse?'s

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sharpening Finesse?'s

A lot of times when I selectively sharpen an image (subject), using unsharp mask, typically around 120/0.2/0 for example, after I've already resized & optimized, If I do a levels check theres often alot of pxels blown. Like sharpening artifacts or somethiing, I'd have to redo the image, or tone it down way more then disirable. Is it typical or normal to have this occur? Not sure what I can do other then far less sharpening. Also I always use the lightness channel when I sharpen. Not sure If I need a different approach or if it's not a big deal. But seems I make an effort to get the levels where I want, then sharpening changes the histogram in Levels. Any helpful advice appreciated.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

'... after I've already resized & optimized..."
    Lot of "tricks" to sharpening. My favorite and very simple is to sharpen at twice the pixel width of the final image. That is, if you want a 1024px wide image, sharpen it at 2000px then resize down. Try it and see if some of artifacts don't disappear.
    Tom

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Some blown pixels is typical after sharpening. For those viewing images at the size presented it should be a non-issue.
    FYI- you can always set the output in levels to 254 and no one will know, wink. Try adding a bit less USM and doing a round of High Pass sharpening if it bothers you.
    You can also use Blend-IF to keep the sharpening away from the extreme highlights.

Chas