Thread: A Close One

Kenn Christensen

Default A Close One

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for all your input so far.. you guys are great... (and probably pretty tired by now)......
    I shot this during the migration early last spring... these birds tend to be a bit edgy and dont allow close approach.. they simply dive and fish to move away from you.. so I was actually able to anticipate where one might come up... and crouch down low over the water... and for once I was right... my subject crashed dived a heartbeat or two later... but left me with this capture... this shot was cropped in a bit.. I liked the tight crop myself... but Im seeing that mostly others see it as a nit... there was no interesting surrounding environment here.. and I wanted to focus on the loon.... that was MY thought process for this creation....
    thanks again for your help... I appreciate honesty above all.. and though you promise gentle... that doesnt matter to me as much... when something sucks I prefer to hear it... lol it just makes me more determined for my next photo op...

1/800
    ISO 100
    F 5.6
    handheld
    500mm F4 IS
    Canon 20D

Fabs Forns

Hi Kenn,

Congratulations on your spirit regarding critiques :)

This one,although tight, is making a compositional statement, and for me it works. I'll tell you a trick, when insecure about a comp, look a the thumbnail, the smaller version let's you see the bigger picture, if that makes sense at all :eek:

The blacks look somehow noisy, maybe you adjusted the exposure too much or overuse of Shadow/Highlights?

Love the water drops in the face :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Even though it is tight, the effort to get it and the results make it fine with me. As Fas said the water drops are seet.

Jody Melanson

I really like the crop on this Kenn! The only way someone can get better is to get rid of ones ego. :)

I ran some aggressive NR and then sharpened using Focus Magic, then I ran some more NR on it.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Kenn
    I'm with Fabs......I like your spirit. I love the loons and especially close up views. I was thinking about what might improve the one you posted and then I saw what Jody had done....just a few tweaks can make a world of difference. Fabs right about looking at the thumbnails....it usually hits you right off the bat whether if feels/looks right or not. If it's any comfort......I will probably always struggle with composition....you just have to work at it.

Gary "Jake" Jacobson

It is a powerful composition Kenn. I like the edited version which helped with the noise.