Thread: Wildlife Image of the Week Rod Warnock for the week ending Apr. 13th, 2012 - Eastern Grey Kangaroo

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Wildlife Image of the Week Rod Warnock for the week ending Apr. 13th, 2012 - Eastern Grey Kangaroo

Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations Rod!!!

Eastern Grey Kangaroo (Macropus giganteus) joey Tidbinbilla ACT

Canon EOS 7D Lens 400mm L USM ISO400 F7.1 1/200 available light 3 April 2012 7.47am
    Taken early morning at Tidbinbilla I had stopped to take an adult female Eastern Grey Kangaroo with a joey out of the pouch but taking milk from in the pouch. I noticed another young joey some distance away in attractive upright stance staring in my direction. He was too close but as I was focusing, he decided to hop straight towards me and stopped then immediately hopped closer still and I quickly took two images. The head and arms and the stare shown above was the result. He then took fright and bolted.Why the moist for forearms? Kangaroos' forearms have a network of blood vessels under the skin. The moisture is a result of licking and the moisture from the saliva and the evaporation allows heat loss. Of course in addition kangaroos also dig areas under shade trees and during the heat of the day escape to these spots to keep cool.
    Thanks for viewing
    Best regards
    Rod Warnock

Ken Watkins

Rod,

Congratulations on this one, nice to see something different.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Remember this, love it. Congrats Rod!
    Ditto Ken
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE