Thread: Looking for a software for mirroring HDD on Mac OX 7.4

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Looking for a software for mirroring HDD on Mac OX 7.4

Hello Everyone.

I am looking for a good software to mirror back up my hard drives. I have double backed up everything until now, but I am looking for a more efficient way than copy paste. I'm using MAC OX 7.4. Thank you for the help.

Lorant

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Could you clarify something? Is it 10.7.4 (Lion) that you're using? If you're looking to clone them, I like Carbon Copy Cloner.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, it is the 10.7.4. Doug. Thanks for the advice.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brown View Post
    Could you clarify something? Is it 10.7.4 (Lion) that you're using? If you're looking to clone them, I like Carbon Copy Cloner.

Me too.
    Andrew

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Loran,

If you are OK issuing a command from a command window, rsync will do what you want, is free and probably is already on your machine.

For example, if your hard drive is /data1 and your USB drive is /media/data2, then an rsync command could be:

rsync -avP /data1/* /media/data2

The -a is archive mode, the v is verbose (prints every file as it is copying), and the P shows progress during a copy.

Rsync copies only new files or files that have changed. If you delete a file on /data1 it will not delete on the /media/data2 drive unless you include a --delete flag. For example to keep an exact mirror copy, including deleted files, run:

rsync -avP --delete /data1/* /media/data2

I run linux, so I put the rsync command in a shell script, e.g.:

#!/bin/sh
    set -x
    rsync -avP --delete /data1/* /media/data2

for example, in a file called mybackupdata1, then just run mybackupdata1 whenever I want to do a backup. There are many more options to rsync, and one can backup to remote servers too. I use rsync for all my backups. On my USB drives, I put a command file specific to that drive. I just plug in the drive and execute the command on that drive, then take the drive offline and put it in a safe.

Roger

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Lorant- I find Apple's Time Machine excellent as a "backer-upper". Is there a reason why you don't use it?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm surprised no one has mentioned SuperDuper. http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDup...scription.html

It is super.
    Mike

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikeojohnson View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned SuperDuper. http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDup...scription.html

It is super.
    Mike
    Agreed, but CCC is a share ware program & payment is optional.
    Andrew

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Time Machine comes free with Max OS X.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Chardine View Post
    Time Machine comes free with Max OS X.
    Right. I use both CCC & time machine. I use CCC to create a start up drive & a time machine back up on a separate drive.
    Andrew

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really believe in Carbon Copy Cloaner and Time Machine both. CCC will really save your you know what if you have an HD issue. You can boot from the external clone, and then clone back to the new drive after you fix it. It is so easy, and being able to boot off an external drive is a major benefit of Mac OSX. I then let Time Machine run all the time to another drive, so that I could get anything that changed between the time I did my last clone and the drive failure. It is also useful to recover a file deleted by mistake. You can't boot from a Time Machine backup, and if you had a drive failure you would have to first install Mac OS on your new drive and select the restore from Time Machine option. I have not done it, but have read that it is rather slow. So in a nutshell. I use CCC to make two clones, so that I can keep one offsite. I clone every couple of days, or before a software update or install. Also, I do a clone after I load images and before I delete from the CF card. Then let Time Machine do it's thing in the background.

This really paid off a couple of months ago when one drive in an SSD Raid 0 failed on my laptop. I had done a clone that night. I booted from the external clone and used that for a couple of days while the replacement drive was sent to me. Then installed the new drive, cloned back, and was back as good as new. What could have been a disaster, was merely an inconvience and I owe it to CCC. I had already donated $30, so I promptly donated $30 more and it was worth thousands at that point. In fact, this process is the only reason I would risk using a Raid 0 setup.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the suggestion, guys. I will investigate these options.
    Patrick. I love the MKIV:-).

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh, hi Lorant! Yea, I miss them a little!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nothing really special. Just make sure that the drive is formatted using Mac OS extended, then clone the boot drive to it and it is a bootable copy.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Would any of these programs be good enough for cloning a defective hard disk ?
    I have a 250GB which has some really bad blocks and I'd like to clone it to a fully working HD and then try to restore it is content using testdisk.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TestDisk

I think this should be done in Linux as Windows has trouble reading defective blocks from the HD.

Thank you.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fabio,

I don't really know, but CCC only runs on the Mac OS, with Mac partitioned disks. So, I am guessing it would not help recover a defective Windows disk.