View RSS Feed

denise ippolito

WHAT EYE SEE

Rate this Entry
photograph
n
(Miscellaneous Technologies / Photography) an image of an object, person, scene, etc., in the form of a print or slide recorded by a camera on photosensitive material Often shortened to photo

pho·tog·ra·phy
n.
1. The [B]art[/B][I] or process of producing images of objects on photosensitive surfaces.
2. The art, practice, or occupation of taking and printing photographs.
3. A body of photographs.

[/I]Every time a photographer picks up his/her camera they make a series of decisions that will affect the outcome of their image. After all it is their image and it is being shown through their eyes. If I adjust my aperture am I changing the way the image is portrayed? Of course. If I move my camera to a different side of the scene will the image be portrayed differently? Absolutely. Where you place your subject in the frame is an artistic decision that will affect your overall image. Deciding to shoot down on a subject or to get at eye level with your subject will also change the look and feel of the image. Moving yourself to eliminate a portion of the scene or background is another way that photographers present their vision. When you slow your shutter speed down you are creating a look that you as the photographer portrays to the world as your interpretation of the scene. When people say they are recording an image or photographing a scene exactly as they see it-well it is just that exactly as[I] [B]"they"[/B][/I] see it. Our use of lighting as photographers also changes the dynamics of an image. Dramatic lighting can create great moods within an image. Isn't that changing the look and feel of the scene? Deciding on what lens to use, whether or not you will use a filter on your lens and if so which filter you will use will greatly affect your image and the view you as the artist will present. I would go so as far as to say that the camera body you choose will have a bearing on your final image to some degree. Many photographers understand this and use these factors to create their artistry. Some photographers are concerned about getting the techs in check and they feel as long as they have not blown any highlights they have captured a good image. Is it true? If that is what you feel represents the scene and it is your image than yes it is true. But it is true for you. In my mind photography is much more. it is my chance to show the world WHAT EYE SEE.
Attached Thumbnails Attached Images

Updated 11-07-2010 at 10:08 PM by denise ippolito

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Very well said Denise. I like your reference to the use of lighting. As John Shaw says in his book "Focus On Nature," photography is "to paint with light" and "awareness of light is our first and most essential tool." With today's cameras, capable of capturing clean images at high ISOs, I would tend to agree with you that the camera does indeed have a bearing on the outcome, particularly with say nightscape imagery.
    All good points Andrew, I need to do some of those nightscapes.
    Hey Denise,
    I'll chime in from a different perspective......My BG is art.....graphic design.....so I've laways seen the world a little differently/without rules.... but when I came to photgraphy....there were plento of "rules". I learned those rules....then set myself on a mission to break them! In photography, I feel you need to be technically proficient [I]first[/I].....then you are able to utilize the tools we now have available.....to go out and break those rules! One thing I have learned over the years....I can teach the technical....I can't teach vison or seeing! Your work....and other like you.....have reopened my eyes to the possibilities of what I can do with my camera!!! I have had the technical knowlege for quite some time now....thanks to great teachers!.....but the vision has always come from within. Not sure [I]anyone[/I] can teach seeing???.......because we all see in different ways. That is what makes us so interesting as humans....celebrating the diversity of what we see and create....it is what makes each of us special and only pushes me to explore what I have inside.....regardless of what others think! Not an easy place to get to for most.....so I feel fortunate to be surrounded by so much talent in my friends and am inspired by others to try..... and achieve the best I can. [I]My camera is a tool[/I] that I choose to use now. I am willing to push it beyond its limits and mine...to see where the journey will take us. Failure is only failure.....if you don't learn from it. Digital has allowed me to achieve that vision....much quicker. [I][B]What eye see.....is endless possibilities![/B][/I]
    "Failure is only failure.....if you don't learn from it." Well said Roman!!! I agree 100%
    Denise, I love your interpretation of the art of photography and agree wholeheartedly. I collect quotations and one of my favorites, which is appropriate here, is "Success is moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"...Winston Churchill. I think that sums up my attempts at creating something artistic from my photography.:)

Quote Originally Posted by denise ippolito
    "Failure is only failure.....if you don't learn from it." Well said Roman!!! I agree 100%
    Cheryl, That may just be my new favorite quotation too.:) Thank you for your kind words.
Web Analytics