View RSS Feed

denise ippolito

Photographing at the Barnegat Jetty

Rate this Entry
The Barnegat Lighthouse State Park, NJ
which is located at the northern end of Long Beach Island is where you will find the famed “Barnegat Jetty”

If you are a birder or bird photographer as I am, this is a must visit destination during the winter. Purple Sandpiper, Dunlin, Ruddy Turnstone, Black-bellied Plover, Sanderling and Herring Gull can all be viewed easily from the jetty.

Horned Lark and Snow Bunting can usually be seen on the sand dunes. In some years Snowy Owls have been spotted on the dunes. The water way is a great place to see Harlequin Ducks, Long-tailed Ducks (formerly called Old Squaw), Common Loons, Red-throated
Loons, Red-breasted Mergansers, Surf Scoters, Black Scoters, Common Eider and Brant.

Last winter I saw several Harbour Seals. I was able to create some great images of a few that were sun bathing on the rocks.
For more info on the Barnegat Jetty please visit my [URL="http://deniseippolito.com/2011/01/barnegat-jetty-the-last-photos-for-2010/"]blog[/URL]
Attached Thumbnails Attached Images

Updated 01-12-2011 at 08:57 AM by denise ippolito

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Outstanding angle on this duck, Denise! Were you IN the water??? ;)
    Denise, Thanks for posting this information. Artie and I had an exchange about Harlequin ducks on either the ETL or HA forum. I live in the boston area and there are Harlequins around but as you know they like the surf and the places I know are hard to get to and get close enough to photograph the birds at the right time of day. A friend of mine told me about Barnegat Jetty so I Googled it and found your post.

I went to look at your pictures and they would not display for some reason. In any case, any additional information you can tell me about this area would be appreciated. I bet others would be interested as well.

Thanks
    /jon
    Jon, For some reason your message did not display for me-sorry. If you still need more info please visit my blog and click on my e-mail link.
    Thanks,
    Denise
    Hi Denise, no worries. I bet it is in the guide you prepared has all I need to know. I did not know about that when I sent my first post. I hope to get there this month if I can.
    /jon
    Maybe I'll see you out there, and yes everything is in the guide:)
    Just ordered the guide. I will know in a week or so. If I can get there.
    Julie, I just now saw your comment. Not sure why it didn't display.
    Jon, Good to hear and let me know.
Web Analytics