BPN Newsletter 6, 28 May 2018

• Image of the Year 2018
      • Our Sponsor
      • Q&A and BPN Support
      • On Critiqueing
      • Please Help Support BPN
      • Unsubscribe

Image of the Year 2017

Work on selecting the 2016 Image of the Year (IOTY) is finally done and was long long overdue. Apologies to all who were waiting. The overall winner is "Great Crested Chick - and Mum" by Mike Pool. This image was selected by the jury as 'Avian' category winner. Congratulations Mike !

The following stunning images were selected as winners in the other categories:

• Can't Stand Heights, by Keith Mitchell in Wildlife
      • Phoenix, by Mitch Carucci in Out-Of-The-Box
      • Dew Web II, by John Mack in Macro and Flora
      • Waterfall, by John Mack in Landscapes and Cities
      • Male Prairie Chicken on the Lek, by Kevin Hice in Eager to Learn

All of the category winners will receive a one year subscription voucher. Congratulations everyone !
      Note to the winners: your free one year subscription is applied to your BPN expiration the date has been extended by one year.

Our Sponsor

Our main sponsor is B&H Photo Video. Support our site by clicking on the link below. Using the BPN affiliate link will not cost you a penny but will be greatly appreciated.

Q&A and BPN Support

In case of user, posting or other BPN problems, contact me on my BPN email address: peterkes@birdphotographers.net.

Subscription and payment problems: staffbaa@att.net.

On Critiquing

BPN was founded on a single principle: folks learn best from honest critiques done gently. The more folks who comment on an image, the more everyone learns. We ask that folks comment on at least five images for every image that they post. Far too many folks are telling this story: “I am not, or do not, feel qualified to critique.” Even if you are a beginning photographer and have never critiqued a single image before, you are eminently qualified to post a substantive critique. Look at the image. Ask yourself, “What do I like about this image? What don’t I like about this image.” Then type it in the next pane. Please, at all costs, avoid those empty “Great shot!” comments …

It’s that simple. If you have any suggestions on how the image could have been improved in the field or in post processing, you can add those but doing so is not mandatory. If you have an idea for a repost, take a crack at it.; you will often find folks reciprocating. In the same vein, the more images you comment on, the more you become part of the community, and the more folks will comment on your images. In addition, when you take the time to study other’s image carefully and take the time to comment, you become a better photographer.

Please remember that a critique does not imply criticism; negatives are not a required part of the package. If you think that an image is great, say so, and be sure to let folks know exactly why you like it. On the other hand, if you are less than honest in an effort to “be nice,” then you are doing everyone a disservice. Honest but gentle. Particularly helpful is to post a critique to an image with 50 or more views and zero or one replies. When and if you come across a really poor image find at least one positive if at all possible and then be as gentle as possible. And do consider directing the poster to the Eager to Learn Forum.

What’s my advice? Shoot a lot. Post a lot. And critique a lot. You can help make BPN a better place.

Please Help Support BPN

If you are going to make a purchase from B&H – and I we know that many of you do to take advantage of their great service, their great prices, and their dependability, please click on the BPN B&H affiliate link at the top of each and every BPN page. It will not cost you a penny more and helps us to pay the bills for our top notch server.

Unsubscribe

Should you want to unsubscribe from this newletter, please log in to your account and go to:

• Settings (top right)
      • General Settings (left sidebar)
      • Find: Messaging & Notification
      • untick the mail notification for "Receive Email from Administrators"

best,
      artie & peter
    • Most Recent Threads

Paul Burdett

white-faced Heron stare

Thread Starter: Paul Burdett

I know the shadows and foreground may not appeal to some, but I was happy to get this pose. Cheers.

D500/500PF, 1/4000th sec, iso2500, manual

Last Post By: David Roach Today, 04:28 AM Go to last post
      David Roach

Gliding home...

Thread Starter: David Roach

EOS R6 RF 100-500 @500 f7.1 1/3200 ISO 1600 HH. Manual EXP, medium crop for composition

Set Picture Style to neutral in camera to assure

Last Post By: Paul Burdett Today, 02:54 AM Go to last post
      William Dickson

Crossbill

Thread Starter: William Dickson

Canon 1DX Mk2
      f/4 400mm DO Mk2 with 2x iii
      f/8
      1/400
      ISO 3200

I captured this one yesterday afternoon in a pine wood

Last Post By: Andreas Liedmann Today, 04:57 AM Go to last post
      Dorian Anderson

Long-billed Curlew

Thread Starter: Dorian Anderson

Though common around the Bay Area in winter, these only visit my local shorebird spot occasionally. The few that do invariably fly-by high overhead, and

Last Post By: Brian Sump Today, 12:15 AM Go to last post
      Steve Kaluski

Musk Ox and the majestic peak of Snøhetta

Thread Starter: Steve Kaluski

Another frame from the encounter with a lonesome Musk Ox, this time with the mighty peak of the Snøhetta as the backdrop. The vegetation was really reach

Last Post By: Andreas Liedmann Today, 05:23 AM Go to last post
      Kurt Bowman

Greeen Heron in Flight

Thread Starter: Kurt Bowman

Sony a9ii, 200-600mm, 1.4 TC
      1/3200 at f/9, ISO 5000

Last Post By: Brian Sump Yesterday, 11:58 PM Go to last post
      Daniel Cadieux

"Fantasia" - Wood Duck Edition

Thread Starter: Daniel Cadieux

Something a bit different. I have so many images of Wood Ducks that trying different stuff becomes almost a must! I was not originally concentrating

Last Post By: Paul Burdett Today, 02:59 AM Go to last post
      Joseph Przybyla

The Flycatcher And The Fly...

Thread Starter: Joseph Przybyla

I saw this Eastern Phoebe perched and was setting up to photograph it when it flew off the barbed wire and snatched a fly that had strayed too close.

Last Post By: William Dickson Yesterday, 03:52 PM Go to last post
      Krishna Prasad kotti

Sunset in Moab

Thread Starter: Krishna Prasad kotti

I made this image in Moab Fisher Towers Last Weekend.

Nikon D850, 50mm f/2
      Info 1/20s f/11.0 ISO125
      Two images Bracketed

Last Post By: Krishna Prasad kotti Yesterday, 01:03 AM Go to last post
      David Roach

Sister Golden Hair Surprise..

Thread Starter: David Roach

EOS R RF 100-500 @500 f8 1/500 ISO 800 HH, Manual EXP, slight crop for composition

In the final step of processing for this image (sharpening

Last Post By: David Roach Today, 05:01 AM Go to last post
      gail bisson

The squabble

Thread Starter: gail bisson

Evening grosbeaks squabbling on a dark, cloudy day.
      I wish I had more room on the left. Spot focus was on the right bird and no time to switch

Last Post By: Andreas Liedmann Today, 05:05 AM Go to last post
      Jonathan Ashton

Buzzard (Buteo buteo)

Thread Starter: Jonathan Ashton

Barney and I set out for the marsh this afternoon, a bittern had been seen the two previous days so I thought this could be my luck day. Wrong! after

Last Post By: William Dickson Yesterday, 04:04 PM Go to last post
      Dorian Anderson

Marbled Godwit

Thread Starter: Dorian Anderson

Pretty standard stuff. Far wing could be a bit lower, but far from a deal breaker in my eyes.

These were noticeably absent from my local

Last Post By: Bill Dix Yesterday, 10:42 AM Go to last post
      Kurt Bowman

Roseate Spoonbill

Thread Starter: Kurt Bowman

We don't get these visitors i Arizona very often, but this immature Spoonbill has been hanging out for a couple of months now.
      Sony A9ii, 200-600mm

Last Post By: Brian Sump 12-02-2020, 11:12 PM Go to last post
      Krishna Prasad kotti

American Coot in Soft Light

Thread Starter: Krishna Prasad kotti

I made this image couple if weeks back in Oquirrh lake, UT

Camera Settings:-
      ===============
      Nikon D850 550 PF

Last Post By: David Roach Yesterday, 05:35 AM Go to last post
    Web Analytics