BPN Newsletter 6, 28 May 2018

• Image of the Year 2018
      • Our Sponsor
      • Q&A and BPN Support
      • On Critiqueing
      • Please Help Support BPN
      • Unsubscribe

Image of the Year 2017

Work on selecting the 2016 Image of the Year (IOTY) is finally done and was long long overdue. Apologies to all who were waiting. The overall winner is "Great Crested Chick - and Mum" by Mike Pool. This image was selected by the jury as 'Avian' category winner. Congratulations Mike !

The following stunning images were selected as winners in the other categories:

• Can't Stand Heights, by Keith Mitchell in Wildlife
      • Phoenix, by Mitch Carucci in Out-Of-The-Box
      • Dew Web II, by John Mack in Macro and Flora
      • Waterfall, by John Mack in Landscapes and Cities
      • Male Prairie Chicken on the Lek, by Kevin Hice in Eager to Learn

All of the category winners will receive a one year subscription voucher. Congratulations everyone !
      Note to the winners: your free one year subscription is applied to your BPN expiration the date has been extended by one year.

Our Sponsor

Our main sponsor is B&H Photo Video. Support our site by clicking on the link below. Using the BPN affiliate link will not cost you a penny but will be greatly appreciated.

Q&A and BPN Support

In case of user, posting or other BPN problems, contact me on my BPN email address: peterkes@birdphotographers.net.

Subscription and payment problems: staffbaa@att.net.

On Critiquing

BPN was founded on a single principle: folks learn best from honest critiques done gently. The more folks who comment on an image, the more everyone learns. We ask that folks comment on at least five images for every image that they post. Far too many folks are telling this story: “I am not, or do not, feel qualified to critique.” Even if you are a beginning photographer and have never critiqued a single image before, you are eminently qualified to post a substantive critique. Look at the image. Ask yourself, “What do I like about this image? What don’t I like about this image.” Then type it in the next pane. Please, at all costs, avoid those empty “Great shot!” comments …

It’s that simple. If you have any suggestions on how the image could have been improved in the field or in post processing, you can add those but doing so is not mandatory. If you have an idea for a repost, take a crack at it.; you will often find folks reciprocating. In the same vein, the more images you comment on, the more you become part of the community, and the more folks will comment on your images. In addition, when you take the time to study other’s image carefully and take the time to comment, you become a better photographer.

Please remember that a critique does not imply criticism; negatives are not a required part of the package. If you think that an image is great, say so, and be sure to let folks know exactly why you like it. On the other hand, if you are less than honest in an effort to “be nice,” then you are doing everyone a disservice. Honest but gentle. Particularly helpful is to post a critique to an image with 50 or more views and zero or one replies. When and if you come across a really poor image find at least one positive if at all possible and then be as gentle as possible. And do consider directing the poster to the Eager to Learn Forum.

What’s my advice? Shoot a lot. Post a lot. And critique a lot. You can help make BPN a better place.

Please Help Support BPN

If you are going to make a purchase from B&H – and I we know that many of you do to take advantage of their great service, their great prices, and their dependability, please click on the BPN B&H affiliate link at the top of each and every BPN page. It will not cost you a penny more and helps us to pay the bills for our top notch server.

Unsubscribe

Should you want to unsubscribe from this newletter, please log in to your account and go to:

• Settings (top right)
      • General Settings (left sidebar)
      • Find: Messaging & Notification
      • untick the mail notification for "Receive Email from Administrators"

best,
      artie & peter
      This article was originally published in forum thread: Image of the Year 2017 started by Peter Kes View original post
    • Most Recent Threads

Debapratim Saha

Great Indian Hornbill pair

Thread Starter: Debapratim Saha

Was clicking the female,all on a sudden the male hopped and stood behind her,so I had no time to change camera settings to get a better DOF.
      D850+850mm,ISO1250,1/200s,f5.6.

Last Post By: Debapratim Saha Today, 11:16 PM Go to last post
      John Mack

Bull Elk

Thread Starter: John Mack

This image was created in Benezette, Pennsylvania on 9/27/18 at 4:41PM. Image adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Small crop.

Last Post By: John Mack Today, 08:49 PM Go to last post
      John Mack

Downy Woodpecker

feeder set up. This image was created in Ithaca, New York on 3/2/18 at 1:29PM. Image adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Medium

Last Post By: David Roach Today, 09:38 PM Go to last post
      annmpacheco

chase underway...

Thread Starter: annmpacheco

Fondly thinking about Summer past as I loaded the wood stove this afternoon. Got to thinking about the skimmers and set out for a chase shot to process.

Last Post By: David Roach Today, 09:48 PM Go to last post
      Anita North

Silvery Grebe and chick

Thread Starter: Anita North

Canon 600mm f/4L IS II -- hand held
      5D Mark IV
      f11
      1/1600
      iso 1600

Sea Lion Island
      Falkland Is 2016

Last Post By: Mike Poole Today, 06:57 PM Go to last post
      William Dickson

Common Seal

Thread Starter: William Dickson

Canon 1DX
      f/4 500mm with 1.4
      f/8
      1/1000
      ISO 1000

Another from my hometown...Common Seal, 35 limpets and thousands

Last Post By: John Mack Today, 07:14 PM Go to last post
      Sanjeev Aurangabadkar

Nilgai Portrait

Thread Starter: Sanjeev Aurangabadkar

Nilgai or Blue Bull is endemic to the Indian subcontinent and is the largest Asian antelope. Here is an image from Jhalana Reserve, Jaipur.
      5D IV

Last Post By: John Mack Today, 07:15 PM Go to last post
      Isaac Grant

Varied Bunting

Thread Starter: Isaac Grant

I see that this is only the second posting ever of a Varied Bunting. The other by Alan Murphy from 2007. They are a difficult species to photograph and

Last Post By: Arthur Morris Today, 06:41 PM Go to last post
      David Roach

Morning Diver...

Thread Starter: David Roach

EOS R EF 400DO I 1.4xtcII 2xtcII f14 1/640 ISO 8000 1120mm
      I was eyeing a mottled duck when my favorite diver popped up right in the morning sun

Last Post By: John Mack Today, 06:25 PM Go to last post
      Lorant Voros

roseate spoonbill

Thread Starter: Lorant Voros

Another old file. Hope you like it.

1DMKIV
      700mm
      ISO640
      f: 8
      1/2500

Last Post By: John Mack Today, 06:22 PM Go to last post
      Paul Burdett

Egret

Thread Starter: Paul Burdett

Hi all. This was taken at Tinchi Tamba wetlands, Brisbane. 7Dii 100-400 lens at 263mm, 1/3200th sec iso400, f5.6 in AV mode.
      Cheers.

Last Post By: John Mack Today, 06:22 PM Go to last post
      Arthur Morris

Emperor Penguin/double overhead wingstretch

Thread Starter: Arthur Morris

This image was created on Day 2 — October 25, 2018 — of the recently concluded Emperor Penguins of Snow Hill Island expedition via icebreaker.

Last Post By: annmpacheco Today, 06:56 PM Go to last post
      John Mack

Bull Elk

This image was created in Benezette, Pennsylvania on 9/27/18 at 5:20PM. Image adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Small crop.

Last Post By: William Dickson Today, 02:22 PM Go to last post
      John Mack

Hairy Woodpecker

Feeder Set up. This image was created in Ithaca, New York on 3/9/18 at 7:39AM. Image adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Small

Last Post By: Isaac Grant Today, 12:40 PM Go to last post
      Dumay de Boulle

Female Leopard jumping

Thread Starter: Dumay de Boulle

Canon 7D MKII
      Sigma 120-300 f2.8 @ 120mm
      AV f4
      TV 1/2500
      ISO 400

I was watching the young female Leopard in the Khwai

Last Post By: William Dickson Today, 02:24 PM Go to last post