• Image of the Year 2016
      • Our Sponsor
      • Q&A and BPN Support
      • On Critiqueing
      • An Elegant Way to Solve Your BPN e-Mail Problems
      • Please Help Support BPN
      • Unsubscribe

Image of the Year 2016

Work on selecting the 2016 Image of the Year (IOTY) is finally done and was long long overdue. Apologies to all who were waiting. The overall winner is "Food transfer" by Glenn Conlan. This image was selected by the jury as 'Avian' category winner. Congratulations Glenn !

Commented by Haseeb Badar: Congratulations Glenn ! That is an outstanding image ! Was showing this image to my friends the other day and they all were bewildered to see this moment, and here it is deservedly chosen as the image of the year ( overall ) .

Congratulations once again !!

The following stunning images were selected as winners in the other categories:

• Charged -UP!, by Haseeb Badar in Wildlife

Commented by Steve Kaluski: Great to see a Tiger in the Wildlife winners 'showcase - well done Haseeb.
      • Smoke, by Ovidiu Cavasdan in Out-Of-The-Box

Commented by Steve Kaluski: Simple, but very striking with a strong 'graphic' feel, congratulation Ovidiu.
      • Magnolia, by David Cowling in Macro and Flora

Almost as if the wasp is humbly asking for a bit of nectar in this Magnolia temple.
      • Sea of Colors, by Luis Patacao in Landscapes and Cities

Commented by Arthur Morris: This is lovely in every way from the soft light to the great colors to the image design to the moving water blur. That yellow is to die for.
      • Horned Grebes pose, by Michael Thompson in Eager to Learn

Commented by Marina Scarr: Wonderful frame, Michael and huge congratulations. You have learned a lot here, and it's great to see your photography progressing so nicely!.

All of the category winners will receive a one year subscription voucher. Congratulations everyone !
      Note to the winners: your free one year subscription is applied to your BPN expiration the date has been extended by one year.

Our Sponsor

Our main sponsor is B&H Photo Video. Support our site by clicking on the link below. Using the BPN affiliate link will not cost you a penny but will be greatly appreciated.

Q&A and BPN Support

In case of user, posting or other BPN problems, contact me on my BPN email address: peterkes@birdphotographers.net.

Subscription and payment problems: staffbaa@att.net.

On Critiquing

BPN was founded on a single principle: folks learn best from honest critiques done gently. The more folks who comment on an image, the more everyone learns. We ask that folks comment on at least five images for every image that they post. Far too many folks are telling this story: “I am not, or do not, feel qualified to critique.” Even if you are a beginning photographer and have never critiqued a single image before, you are eminently qualified to post a substantive critique. Look at the image. Ask yourself, “What do I like about this image? What don’t I like about this image.” Then type it in the next pane. Please, at all costs, avoid those empty “Great shot!” comments …

It’s that simple. If you have any suggestions on how the image could have been improved in the field or in post processing, you can add those but doing so is not mandatory. If you have an idea for a repost, take a crack at it.; you will often find folks reciprocating. In the same vein, the more images you comment on, the more you become part of the community, and the more folks will comment on your images. In addition, when you take the time to study other’s image carefully and take the time to comment, you become a better photographer.

Please remember that a critique does not imply criticism; negatives are not a required part of the package. If you think that an image is great, say so, and be sure to let folks know exactly why you like it. On the other hand, if you are less than honest in an effort to “be nice,” then you are doing everyone a disservice. Honest but gentle. Particularly helpful is to post a critique to an image with 50 or more views and zero or one replies. When and if you come across a really poor image find at least one positive if at all possible and then be as gentle as possible. And do consider directing the poster to the Eager to Learn Forum.

What’s my advice? Shoot a lot. Post a lot. And critique a lot. You can help make BPN a better place.

An Elegant Way to Solve Your BPN e-Mail Problems

As some of you likely know by experience, att and more than a few related e-mail providers (such as sbcglobal and bellsouth), have been black-listing the sending IP address for BirdPhotographer’s.Net for a very long time. I have tried unsuccessfully for many years to have our IP address de-blacklisted. If you have some pull with att or have a good customer service number and would like to try, that IP address 199.193.247.14.

I forgot who turned me on to this simple and elegant solution but whomever you are, thanks! I have been using it for two months and now and have been receiving every single BPN Reply to Thread notice in my samandmayasgrandpa@att.net Inbox in a timely fashion from the moment that I tried the work-around. That despite my black-listed att address.

You can learn how to implement this simple solution by following the simple, clear, step-by-step instructions here. While you are there, feel free to surf the BIRDS AS ART Blog and learn a ton about bird and nature photography most every day. My record is 480 days in a row with a new educational blog pot. Second best was 366. My current streak is at 88. Lots of work for me and lots to learn for you.

Please Help Support BPN

If you are going to make a purchase from B&H – and I we know that many of you do to take advantage of their great service, their great prices, and their dependability, please click on the BPN B&H affiliate link at the top of each and every BPN page. It will not cost you a penny more and helps us to pay the bills for our top notch server.

Unsubscribe

Should you want to unsubscribe from this newletter, please log in to your account and go to:

• Settings (top right)
      • General Settings (left sidebar)
      • Find: Messaging & Notification
      • untick the mail notification for "Receive Email from Administrators"

best,
      artie & peter
    • Most Recent Threads

Andreas Liedmann

Kingfisher II

Thread Starter: Andreas Liedmann

Hi all ...
      captured this image last year in January at a commercial setup . I do like the stare the female gave me ... albeit DOF falls short .

Last Post By: kevin Hice Today, 05:34 AM Go to last post
      Andreas Liedmann

Red Squirrel Jump III

Hi all ... another attempt from yesterday .
      The Squirrel gave a good show , but I struggled to get it captured .
      Struggling to manage the

Last Post By: Andreas Liedmann Today, 02:38 AM Go to last post
      Jonathan Ashton

Chiffchaff (Phylloscopus collybita)

Thread Starter: Jonathan Ashton

I went for a walk and there were quite a few migrant Chiffchaffs calling. The image is cropped.

OM-1 OM 150-400mm F4.5 TC
      Focal Length

Last Post By: Jonathan Ashton Yesterday, 09:39 AM Go to last post
      Andreas Liedmann

Kamtchatka Brown Bear ( M ) XXI

Hi folks ... as the Squirrels have not been cooperating today , I go for another Bear .
      Poor Salmon ... being caught and then taken around to a

Last Post By: Andreas Liedmann 03-26-2024, 01:48 PM Go to last post
      Andreas Liedmann

Nuthatch

Hi folks .. a simple Nuthatch from a couple of weeks ago
      Placed this perch close to a public feeder ... and waited to hopefully landing some birds

Last Post By: kevin Hice Today, 05:37 AM Go to last post
      Andreas Liedmann

Red Squirrel Jump II

Hi folks ... here is another one from this morning with tricky lighting
      IQ has somewhat suffered , due to lower SS and focus was not bang

Last Post By: Andreas Liedmann Today, 02:28 AM Go to last post
      Jonathan Ashton

Reed bunting (Emberiza schoeniclus)

Thread Starter: Jonathan Ashton

Reed bunting image captured from a woodland hide.....on a gloomy day.

OM-1, OLYMPUS M.150-400mm F4.5
      Focal Length (35 mm conversion)

Last Post By: Jonathan Ashton 03-26-2024, 01:47 PM Go to last post
      Andreas Liedmann

Kingfisher

Hi folks ...
      time to post a KF from my side .
      Image captured at a commercial setup , which is only available in winter .
      Went there

Last Post By: Andreas Liedmann 03-26-2024, 12:53 PM Go to last post
      Andreas Liedmann

Red Squirrel Jump

Hi all ... I thought it is now time for a change
      Going from big Bears to tiny Squirrels .
      I had the idea of jumping Squirrels for a

Last Post By: Andreas Liedmann Today, 02:26 AM Go to last post
    Web Analytics