• BPN Newsletter 4, 29 February 2016

BPN Newsletter 4, 29 February 2016

• Image of the Year 2015
      • Our Sponsor
      • Q&A and BPN Support
      • Unsubscribe

Image of the Year 2015

Work on selecting the 2015 Image of the Year (IOTY) is done. The overall winner is "Tug of War" by David Salem. This image was selected by the jury as 'Avian' category winner. Congratulations David !

Commented by Arash Hazeghi: amazing interaction Dave, most folks don't realize what it takes to get a frame like this, you had really fast reflexes. congrats on your BBC nomination and best luck!

Spectacular

The following stunning images were selected as winners in the other categories:

• Upside Down!, by Sanjeev Aurangabadka in Wildlife

Commented by Jonathan Ashton: Outstanding quality, a beautiful composition and pose. My eyes are drawn to the leopard and then temporarily to the flies but then back to the leopard. In most images roving eyes are a no no but in this it reflects the powerful content and composition.
      • Pearls of Morning Dew, by Wendy Kates in Out-Of-The-Box

Commented by Nancy Bell: Super creative and very well done! Love how you created such an intricate and symmetrical design. The fine details and small size of the center diamond shape contrasts and holds together all the other strings of pearls so well. I also like the two larger areas of black space, it keeps all the other stands and dew drops from being overwhelming and helps create those graceful swooping curves. B&W is perfect for this.
      • Mantis (Empusa fasciata) , by Miroslav Maric in Macro and Flora

Fascinating how this Mantis blends in with the plant and seems to be a part of it. Completed with the stunning background this image deserves the title of best Macro 2015.
      • Frozen, by Dan Kearl in Landscapes and Cities

Lovely ice formations by chilling winter winds. Strongly contrasted by the wild flowing, soft waterfall, giving a sense of how the ice around the waterfall was formed.
      • Spring Hoopoe, by Kalin Botev in Eager to Learn

Commented by David Salem: Wow! This is awesome!! I love the whole frame. I chased Hoopoes around when I was on vacation in Egypt but didn't get any great flight images. A killer Incoming pose with his wings back, his crest up, his feet showing, a colorful BG and a nice big bug in his beak!! And It's nice and sharp!! Did I say Wow! A shot you couldn't have dreamt the night before :) Well done.

All of the category winners will receive a one year subscription voucher. Congratulations everyone !
      Note to the winners: your free one year subscription is applied to your BPN expiration the date has been extended by one year.

Our Sponsor

Our main sponsor is B&H Photo Video. Support our site by clicking on the link below. Using the BPN affiliate link will not cost you a penny but will be greatly appreciated.

Q&A and BPN Support

In case of user, posting or other BPN problems, contact me on my BPN email address: peterkes@birdphotographers.net.

Subscription and payment problems: staffbaa@att.net.

Unsubscribe

Should you want to unsubscribe from this newletter, please log in to your account and go to:

• Settings (top right)
      • General Settings (left sidebar)
      • Find: Messaging & Notification
      • untick the mail notification for "Receive Email from Administrators"

best,
      artie & peter
      This article was originally published in forum thread: BPN Newsletter 4, 29 February 2016 started by Peter Kes View original post
    • Most Recent Threads

Steve Kaluski

Gull chick

Thread Starter: Steve Kaluski

On landing, Jon and I quickly went to the backside of the island, in the hope folk would congregate closer to the landing point and give us a head start

Last Post By: Steve Kaluski Today, 04:49 AM Go to last post
      Steve Kaluski

I am the walrus - Goo goo g'joob

Thread Starter: Steve Kaluski

With Bill's recent posting, plus, Rachel's comment 'Great to see a walrus on the ice' it reminded me to have a look back at the last time I was there,

Last Post By: Steve Kaluski Today, 03:35 AM Go to last post
      Colin Driscoll

Masked Lapwing

Thread Starter: Colin Driscoll

Once more appropriately named Spur-winged Plover. Interesting to note that the nictitating membrane is clear.
      1DXII 70-200mm f/2.8L II & 2xIII

Last Post By: Colin Driscoll Yesterday, 08:38 PM Go to last post
      Daniel Cadieux

Black-throated Green Warbler

Thread Starter: Daniel Cadieux

Photographed last month during a somber and wet day at the cottage. The teleconverter is normally glued to the lens, but here I removed it for an extra

Last Post By: Colin Driscoll Yesterday, 08:40 PM Go to last post
      Krishna Prasad kotti

Indian blanket

Thread Starter: Krishna Prasad kotti

I made this image at Traverse Mountain, UT, Near my Home, before Sunrise.

This is composite of 2 images Focus Stacked using Affinity

Last Post By: Krishna Prasad kotti Yesterday, 04:43 PM Go to last post
      Sanjeev Aurangabadkar

Topi in golden light

Thread Starter: Sanjeev Aurangabadkar

A topi from Western Serengeti region in some nice light.
      5D III
      100-400 II
      1/1000
      f/8
      ISO 800

Last Post By: Sanjeev Aurangabadkar Yesterday, 10:28 AM Go to last post
      Sanjeev Aurangabadkar

Secretary Bird

Thread Starter: Sanjeev Aurangabadkar

A secretary bird in habitat at Ngorongoro crater, TZ.
      5D IV
      700mm
      1/2000
      f/9
      ISO 800

Last Post By: Colin Driscoll Yesterday, 08:44 PM Go to last post
      Noel Heustis

Laughing Gull Silhouette

Thread Starter: Noel Heustis

This Laughing Gull silhouette was the result of another beautiful Ft. D sunset. Processed in DPP4 and PScc. I made separate levels adjustments to slightly

Last Post By: Colin Driscoll Yesterday, 08:49 PM Go to last post
      John Mack

Short-billed Dowitcher

Thread Starter: John Mack

This image was created at Fort De Soto on 4/21/17 at 8:21AM. Image adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Small crop.

Last Post By: Daniel Cadieux Yesterday, 06:16 PM Go to last post
      John Mack

European Skipper

This image was created in Ithaca, New York on 6/22/18 at 6:18AM. Image adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Camera on sticks triggered

Last Post By: Mitch Carucci Yesterday, 02:21 PM Go to last post
      annmpacheco

harris hawk harassment...

Thread Starter: annmpacheco

Taken from the raptor blind in South Texas, another territorial "chase" from a mockingbird. It was my observation that the Harris hawks were

Last Post By: Bill Dix Yesterday, 02:34 PM Go to last post
      John Mack

White-tail Fawn

This image was created in Ithaca, New York on 6/12/18 at 7:45PM. Image adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Small crop.

Last Post By: John Mack Yesterday, 07:04 AM Go to last post
      Jay Shah

Game pup plays

Thread Starter: Jay Shah

Of the three desert fox pups, only this one kept himself busy by playing with this feather. It was fun to see it pick up the feather, bite on it for

Last Post By: John Mack Yesterday, 06:39 AM Go to last post
      Walker Noe

Mexican Chickadee

Thread Starter: Walker Noe

I shot this image in the Chiricahua Mountains of Arizona, the only place in the United States to reliably see this bird. This chickadee was actively

Last Post By: Noel Heustis Yesterday, 10:14 AM Go to last post
      Joseph Przybyla

Boat-tailed Grackle (m) (Quiscalus major)

Thread Starter: Joseph Przybyla

I captured this image at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Interesting fact, the Boat-tailed Grackles in Florida and the Gulf Coast have

Last Post By: Daniel Cadieux Yesterday, 06:09 PM Go to last post
    Web Analytics