• BPN Newsletter 4, 29 February 2016

BPN Newsletter 4, 29 February 2016

• Image of the Year 2015
      • Our Sponsor
      • Q&A and BPN Support
      • Unsubscribe

Image of the Year 2015

Work on selecting the 2015 Image of the Year (IOTY) is done. The overall winner is "Tug of War" by David Salem. This image was selected by the jury as 'Avian' category winner. Congratulations David !

Commented by Arash Hazeghi: amazing interaction Dave, most folks don't realize what it takes to get a frame like this, you had really fast reflexes. congrats on your BBC nomination and best luck!

Spectacular

The following stunning images were selected as winners in the other categories:

• Upside Down!, by Sanjeev Aurangabadka in Wildlife

Commented by Jonathan Ashton: Outstanding quality, a beautiful composition and pose. My eyes are drawn to the leopard and then temporarily to the flies but then back to the leopard. In most images roving eyes are a no no but in this it reflects the powerful content and composition.
      • Pearls of Morning Dew, by Wendy Kates in Out-Of-The-Box

Commented by Nancy Bell: Super creative and very well done! Love how you created such an intricate and symmetrical design. The fine details and small size of the center diamond shape contrasts and holds together all the other strings of pearls so well. I also like the two larger areas of black space, it keeps all the other stands and dew drops from being overwhelming and helps create those graceful swooping curves. B&W is perfect for this.
      • Mantis (Empusa fasciata) , by Miroslav Maric in Macro and Flora

Fascinating how this Mantis blends in with the plant and seems to be a part of it. Completed with the stunning background this image deserves the title of best Macro 2015.
      • Frozen, by Dan Kearl in Landscapes and Cities

Lovely ice formations by chilling winter winds. Strongly contrasted by the wild flowing, soft waterfall, giving a sense of how the ice around the waterfall was formed.
      • Spring Hoopoe, by Kalin Botev in Eager to Learn

Commented by David Salem: Wow! This is awesome!! I love the whole frame. I chased Hoopoes around when I was on vacation in Egypt but didn't get any great flight images. A killer Incoming pose with his wings back, his crest up, his feet showing, a colorful BG and a nice big bug in his beak!! And It's nice and sharp!! Did I say Wow! A shot you couldn't have dreamt the night before :) Well done.

All of the category winners will receive a one year subscription voucher. Congratulations everyone !
      Note to the winners: your free one year subscription is applied to your BPN expiration the date has been extended by one year.

Our Sponsor

Our main sponsor is B&H Photo Video. Support our site by clicking on the link below. Using the BPN affiliate link will not cost you a penny but will be greatly appreciated.

Q&A and BPN Support

In case of user, posting or other BPN problems, contact me on my BPN email address: peterkes@birdphotographers.net.

Subscription and payment problems: staffbaa@att.net.

Unsubscribe

Should you want to unsubscribe from this newletter, please log in to your account and go to:

• Settings (top right)
      • General Settings (left sidebar)
      • Find: Messaging & Notification
      • untick the mail notification for "Receive Email from Administrators"

best,
      artie & peter
      This article was originally published in forum thread: BPN Newsletter 4, 29 February 2016 started by Peter Kes View original post
    • Most Recent Threads

Glenn Pure

Something a bit different

Thread Starter: Glenn Pure

I hope I'm not being too bold here posting a somewhat different treatment - I'm relatively new to BPN and this forum. These White-fronted Terns

Last Post By: Jay Ing Yesterday, 11:13 PM Go to last post
      Glenn Pure

More cute

Thread Starter: Glenn Pure

I seem to be leaning on the cute factor again. These lions cubs were part of a pride that had made a kill the night before and were busy with that.

Last Post By: Glenn Pure Yesterday, 07:58 PM Go to last post
      William Dickson

Red Grouse

Thread Starter: William Dickson

Canon 1DX
      f/4 500mm with 1.4
      f/5.6
      1/1600
      ISO 1250

Another visit to the Glen. This time I went early morning, which

Last Post By: Jay Ing Yesterday, 11:15 PM Go to last post
      Daniel Cadieux

Solitary Sandpiper with Solitary Loose Feather.

Thread Starter: Daniel Cadieux

Man, that feather was just barely hanging by a thread, turning and twisting in the wind. I was sure it was to fall off but evidently did not while I

Last Post By: Jay Ing Yesterday, 11:17 PM Go to last post
      Joseph Przybyla

Green Heron In Flight

Thread Starter: Joseph Przybyla

I captured this image at Circle B Bar Reserve just a couple minutes after my previous post of a Green Heron. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated.

Last Post By: William Dickson Yesterday, 07:02 PM Go to last post
      Bill Dix

Watch Your Step

Thread Starter: Bill Dix

I know it's been said here that the only decent owl images are those with direct frontal eye contact. Still, I rather liked this Barred Owl taking a

Last Post By: Mike Poole Yesterday, 12:53 PM Go to last post
      Mike Poole

Red Kite dorsal view

Thread Starter: Mike Poole

Another Red Kite from Wales. For me, these are a beautiful bird with great colourings, especially when they fan their tails right

Last Post By: Glenn Pure Yesterday, 08:27 PM Go to last post
      Steve Kaluski

Gannet in flight

Thread Starter: Steve Kaluski

A very straight forward shot of a Gannet in flight, although I think it's gone passed to far to the left? Love the way they just catch the up draft and

Last Post By: William Dickson Yesterday, 06:42 PM Go to last post
      Allen Sparks

Monarch Butterfly

Thread Starter: Allen Sparks

Canon 7D2, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 1.4x TC III, 430 EX II Speedlite
      ISO 400, f14, 1/200s, fill flash, HH

Last Post By: Allen Sparks Yesterday, 03:38 AM Go to last post
      Jay Ing

Common Tern

Thread Starter: Jay Ing

Yeah - finally got the kind of tern shot I've been seeking! :)
      Details: D500+Sigma 300/4 + 1.4 TC, 1/3200, 7.1, HH, slight canvas extension on bottom

Last Post By: William Dickson Yesterday, 07:06 PM Go to last post
      Colin Driscoll

Allofeeding

Thread Starter: Colin Driscoll

A pair of Red-rumped Parrots with the male feeding the female as a bonding activity technically a form of Allofeeding. They had been feeding on fruit

Last Post By: Glenn Pure Yesterday, 07:35 PM Go to last post
      Michael Thompson

Burrowing owl with big eyes!

Thread Starter: Michael Thompson

A Burrowing Owl in Cape Coral FL, looking me over this springCanon 7D ll, 100-400ll at 400mm f5.6 1/200 sec, monopod, 1250 iso.

Last Post By: Steve Kaluski Yesterday, 08:50 AM Go to last post
      Juan Tolentino

Egyptian Goose Portrait

Thread Starter: Juan Tolentino

I captured this image in Key Biscayne, Florida, with the Nikon D500 Handheld and AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm 1-5.6E ED VR

ISO 400
      f5.6

Last Post By: Daniel Cadieux Yesterday, 03:37 PM Go to last post
      Tim Foltz

Wood Duck Hen

Thread Starter: Tim Foltz

Canon 1Dx • 700 mm • 1/1600 • f/6.3 • ISO 500 • handheld • manual

Every winter we might get a few Wood Ducks in our area, here is a cooperative

Last Post By: Daniel Cadieux Yesterday, 03:39 PM Go to last post
      Joseph Przybyla

Green Heron

Thread Starter: Joseph Przybyla

I captured this image of a Green Heron yesterday morning at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated.

Last Post By: William Dickson Yesterday, 07:08 PM Go to last post
    Web Analytics