• BPN Newsletter 4, 29 February 2016

BPN Newsletter 4, 29 February 2016

• Image of the Year 2015
      • Our Sponsor
      • Q&A and BPN Support
      • Unsubscribe

Image of the Year 2015

Work on selecting the 2015 Image of the Year (IOTY) is done. The overall winner is "Tug of War" by David Salem. This image was selected by the jury as 'Avian' category winner. Congratulations David !

Commented by Arash Hazeghi: amazing interaction Dave, most folks don't realize what it takes to get a frame like this, you had really fast reflexes. congrats on your BBC nomination and best luck!

Spectacular

The following stunning images were selected as winners in the other categories:

• Upside Down!, by Sanjeev Aurangabadka in Wildlife

Commented by Jonathan Ashton: Outstanding quality, a beautiful composition and pose. My eyes are drawn to the leopard and then temporarily to the flies but then back to the leopard. In most images roving eyes are a no no but in this it reflects the powerful content and composition.
      • Pearls of Morning Dew, by Wendy Kates in Out-Of-The-Box

Commented by Nancy Bell: Super creative and very well done! Love how you created such an intricate and symmetrical design. The fine details and small size of the center diamond shape contrasts and holds together all the other strings of pearls so well. I also like the two larger areas of black space, it keeps all the other stands and dew drops from being overwhelming and helps create those graceful swooping curves. B&W is perfect for this.
      • Mantis (Empusa fasciata) , by Miroslav Maric in Macro and Flora

Fascinating how this Mantis blends in with the plant and seems to be a part of it. Completed with the stunning background this image deserves the title of best Macro 2015.
      • Frozen, by Dan Kearl in Landscapes and Cities

Lovely ice formations by chilling winter winds. Strongly contrasted by the wild flowing, soft waterfall, giving a sense of how the ice around the waterfall was formed.
      • Spring Hoopoe, by Kalin Botev in Eager to Learn

Commented by David Salem: Wow! This is awesome!! I love the whole frame. I chased Hoopoes around when I was on vacation in Egypt but didn't get any great flight images. A killer Incoming pose with his wings back, his crest up, his feet showing, a colorful BG and a nice big bug in his beak!! And It's nice and sharp!! Did I say Wow! A shot you couldn't have dreamt the night before :) Well done.

All of the category winners will receive a one year subscription voucher. Congratulations everyone !
      Note to the winners: your free one year subscription is applied to your BPN expiration the date has been extended by one year.

Our Sponsor

Our main sponsor is B&H Photo Video. Support our site by clicking on the link below. Using the BPN affiliate link will not cost you a penny but will be greatly appreciated.

Q&A and BPN Support

In case of user, posting or other BPN problems, contact me on my BPN email address: peterkes@birdphotographers.net.

Subscription and payment problems: staffbaa@att.net.

Unsubscribe

Should you want to unsubscribe from this newletter, please log in to your account and go to:

• Settings (top right)
      • General Settings (left sidebar)
      • Find: Messaging & Notification
      • untick the mail notification for "Receive Email from Administrators"

best,
      artie & peter
      This article was originally published in forum thread: BPN Newsletter 4, 29 February 2016 started by Peter Kes View original post
    • Most Recent Threads

Marlo Casabar

DPP 4 Workflow

Thread Starter: Marlo Casabar

Good afternoon everyone,

I have been using Arash Hazeghi's and Arthur Morris' book "The Photographer's Guide to Canon Digital Photo

Last Post By: Marlo Casabar Today, 02:59 PM Go to last post
      Steve Kaluski

SEO

Thread Starter: Steve Kaluski

Another frame from the encounter I had with these guys. The RH eye (as view) was in heavy shade and so I have left it that way.

Steve

Last Post By: Steve Kaluski Today, 11:45 AM Go to last post
      Geoffrey Montagu

Northern Rough-winged Swallow

Thread Starter: Geoffrey Montagu

This image was captured the other day at a local lake. It was late afternoon and overcast. Several years ago at the same location I was lucky enough to

Last Post By: William Dickson Today, 11:25 AM Go to last post
      Bill Dix

Marsh Madness

Thread Starter: Bill Dix

More Great Egrets from Harns Marsh in February. (My apologies if I've used that title before.) This patch of marsh was crowded with Coots, Little Blue

Last Post By: Michael Thompson Today, 09:58 AM Go to last post
      Michael Thompson

Bufflehead 2.0

Thread Starter: Michael Thompson

Here is my second frame of the Bufflehead drake with better lighting. Lake Harriet Minneapolis MN Canon 7D ll 100-400ll 1.4x lll, 1/2500 ss 520 mm, f8,

Last Post By: Bill Dix Today, 08:42 AM Go to last post
      Rachel Hollander

Uinta Ground Squirrel

Thread Starter: Rachel Hollander

Another one from near the Moulton Barns in Grand Teton N.P., Wyoming. As I said in my prior posts of these guys, unfortunately they don't come out until

Last Post By: keith mitchell Today, 02:11 PM Go to last post
      keith mitchell

Theme Dropped it!

Thread Starter: keith mitchell

Red Squirrel.
      Nikon D4
      Nikon 3000mm 2.8
      iso 2000.

Not sure if I have posted this before if so sorry,cannot claim a lot

Last Post By: keith mitchell Today, 02:09 PM Go to last post
      Joseph Przybyla

Great Blue Heron with Armoured Catfish...

Thread Starter: Joseph Przybyla

I captured this image at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Last Post By: William Dickson Today, 11:27 AM Go to last post
      Steve Kaluski

Yawning Lion

Thread Starter: Steve Kaluski

Following the theme of yawning lions, I though I would throw this one into the mix.

Steve

Subject: Lioness (Panthera

Last Post By: keith mitchell Today, 02:13 PM Go to last post
      Joe Subolefsky

Woodies playing in the water colors

Thread Starter: Joe Subolefsky

Spent about every free minute the last month in a blind after wood ducks starting to edit some of the pixs.
      Thanks for any input and CC. Canon

Last Post By: William Dickson Today, 11:31 AM Go to last post
      Tim Foltz

Nesting Brandt's Cormorant with Chicks

Thread Starter: Tim Foltz

Canon IDMK III • 500 mm • 1/2000 • f/5 • ISO 400 • handheld • manual

from a few years ago while shooting pelicans down south.

Last Post By: Marina Scarr Today, 03:24 PM Go to last post
      Daniel Grossi

Male Wood Duck Profile

Thread Starter: Daniel Grossi

I think this is my favorite Wood Duck shot thus far. Light is far from perfect and the background is terribly busy. I'll get ya'll a better one

Last Post By: Glenn Conlan Yesterday, 07:32 PM Go to last post
      Isaac Grant

When is best time to crop?

Thread Starter: Isaac Grant

Wondering when people crop their images and why? Crop before you convert to TIFF and import into PS? or import full size shot into PS and then crop in

Last Post By: Rachel Hollander Today, 06:51 AM Go to last post
      John Mack

Sandwich Tern

Thread Starter: John Mack

Sandwich Tern in early morning front light. Image adjustments in Lightroom.
      Full Frame, hand held.

Canon 5D MarkIII
      Sigma 150-600

Last Post By: Lorant Voros Yesterday, 05:42 PM Go to last post
      Alex Becker

White-tailed Deer

Thread Starter: Alex Becker

Hi all,

Here is a white-tailed deer frame from last August in NJ (so hopefully the greens are correct). Between work and weather I haven't

Last Post By: Steve Kaluski Today, 12:48 PM Go to last post
    Web Analytics